HELP either stopped laying or eating her eggs?

• 9 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
I got a new hen last week, she is a splash maran about 1 year old. On the second day she  layed and then ate her egg, I know it was her as I found the shell (darker than the rest) Getting usual egg/usual place from other hen.
I have searched everywhere there are no traces of distroyed eggs anywhere. I have been extra vigilent this week as I am concerned about having a hen with an egg eating habit.
Would it be normal to stop laying? she seems very healthy, eating well.
Would it be normal to eat entire egg, including shell and leaving no trace?   

Roughlee Handled

Re: HELP either stopped laying or eating her eggs?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35 »
What are you feeding her? How many hens do you have?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:40 »
Could just be that she's stopped laying having moved house.
Not unusual for them to lay on the day they move or the day after then stop for a bit :)
It's quite stressful for a hen moving house especially if she's the only newbie.

Check she's not laying else where and also that magpies/crows aren't taking them :)

Sarah :)

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 19:37 »
I have 3 hens at the moment, they eat layered pellets, mixed corn and the odd leftovers. They free range during the day. I have been over the whole area with a fine toothed comb, there are no signs of eggs. They enjoy lying in the dust areas under the trees and as it has been so dry the last few days I would have thought if she had layed there a dark trace would be left if she had eaten the eggs.   
I am due to introduce 3 more hens in a few weeks so if I do have an egg eater I am concerned the habit might spread.
I am undecided whether to set up a fowl tasting 'dummy' egg, but have heard this can sometimes backfire as hens like to eat the strangest things!

Vember

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 19:53 »
There is normally a dark patch where the egg has been broken open and been eaten if the hen does it, and yolk all round it's beak  ::)

Magpies and crows watch and wait for hens to lay and swoop in very quickly after the hen gets up to pinch them  :mad:
Even seen a maggie take a goose egg  :ohmy:  No wet patch then as they carry them away to eat  >:(

Either that or she has stopped laying :)

sarah :)

woodlandchickie

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:35 »
i have not heard of 'foul tasting eggs', but i have read that you can just trick them by leaving one of those "rock" eggs in the nesting box - they litterally are rocks, just shaped like an egg. the farm nearby uses them and my neighbor uses wooden ones. i use plastic easter eggs, the hens seem fine with all the colors...
another possibility is that a snake is getting them, they'll swallow it whole and slither away to rest until the next meal

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 19:30 »
Thanks for replies
I am pretty sure now that she has stopped laying, I cant believe there would be no trace at all if she had been eating the eggs.

Could it cause her any health problems to stop laying for a time when young (about 18 months old)?
How long would be normal for a new chicken to stop laying?

It has been over a week now, she doesnt look uncomfortable and is eating well.
I have been putting golf balls in the nesting boxes, our sussex always lays in the same place and her eggs have not been touched. Im hoping the golf balls will encourage the young ones to use the nesting boxes when they begin to lay. 

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 19:36 »
Forgot to add

It is possible it could be magpies/crows, there are certainly plenty around although I thought they would be less cheeky now their young have grown.
As for snakes I hope not.... nothing of a size that could swallow an egg... not in cheshire.  :unsure: 

Vember

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 19:44 »
As for snakes I hope not.... nothing of a size that could swallow an egg... not in cheshire.  :unsure: 

Used to live there and I knew a few snakes :lol:

Maggies are still taking eggs if given a chance here, they will take for takins sake  :mad:
Doubt it'll cause any problems her not laying so long as she is looking well and there are no signs of internal laying, it could just be moving house has put her off her :)

Only other thing is to not give any other feed apart from layers and see if that starts her up again :)

Sarah :D

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 19:41 »
You've met my x then! :D

She looks fine to me, but I am not sure what internal laying is or what to look for?

Kept them all in the coop today which is netted so the magpies cant get in, still no sign of an egg though.

Its looking like she hasn't layed for 10 days now... getting a little concerned   

xx
My warren has stopped laying eggs

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 18:26
by joyfull
xx
My Chickens stopped laying eggs for months!

Started by zena_warrior_chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 12:43
by too many girls
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
laying has stopped!!

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 21:50
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 38 queries.