Best Time to plant Onion seed for an early crop next year?

• 7 Replies

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hi all,

Any advice on the best time to sow for an early crop next year?
I haven't done an over wintering crop before but figure it would be useful if I could have onions nowish from the plot.

Also I would be interested in any varieties you have tried and would recommend - red and white.

I was thinking about using the land occupied by my main crop spuds when they are lifted, I can't remember exactly when I did this last year (I know I should write things down!)  but I think it was August.
I have just used the space used by the first early spuds for planting Leeks out trying to get the most out of the room I have.

Thanks,

Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

splodger

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 22:08 »
if it's any help - i shall be sowing onion seed in mid august in a seed bed and let them over winter. in the spring i shall transplant the small sets into a prepared onion bed.

i shall be trying "the kelsae" and "bedfordshire champion" and "ailsa craig" from seed.

starmoonlilly

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 22:42 »
I thought I'd started a topic on onions.......but I'll be darned if I can find it!

My question was, I sowed Sturon seeds yesterday, but it said on the packet to sow either sept or march/april. In view of me being a rebel and doing what I wanted instead of what I was told :tongue2:  are they likely to bolt, be ready ealier, or just fail.

OR shall I just wait and see and post later. I really would prefer if someone knew and told me I was a plonker though :)  :oops:
Life is for living.....permaculture is for life.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:37 »
we put in red "electric"onions last august and have just harvested them,they are a very good size and have the most brilliant white innards :D although the skin is red :)

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:10 »
Japanese onion sets can be planted in August .

I sow onion seeds in a heated greenhouse in January,grow on reducing heat as soon as they have germinated , then harden off and plant out in the growing bed in May ish depending on the weather.

They are developing well ,ground is very wet so I keep looking out for any mildew ,so far so good.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:40 »
The Ailsa Craig I grew from seed this year are doing brilliantly, all the rain has helped I'm sure, I planted them around the first week of feb in seed trays.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look for some of those mentioned in a seed catalogue, Time to be a bit more adventurous and try some new varieties.
If I get some from an overwintering crop around now that would be useful, I have around 150 in the ground for harvesting this year but I shall need more I am sure.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:30 »
can onion seed be sown staright into the grond or do they need to be started off in seed trays and transplanted?

i don't have a green house though....

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 12:57 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
can onion seed be sown staright into the grond or do they need to be started off in seed trays and transplanted?

i don't have a green house though....

Hiya,
Yes you can sow direct to ground in Spring, but if you have somewhere warm like inside the house you can germinate them earlier, January - February and steal a march on getting bigger onions sooner.
BTW mine all looked really spindly / straggly as seedlings despite never being deprived of light, I think this is normal for them and leeks, once they got some 'true' leaves they stood up nicely.
HTH

xx
If you could only plant ten crop varieties next year

Started by senrab_nhoj on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 15:06
by Bombers
xx
Too early to plant out onion sets?

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 14:29
by loobs61
xx
Can i plant late spud crop after early or main this rotation

Started by Theedes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 22:02
by DD.
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.