Ex bat advice please!!!

• 4 Replies

Mum2mj

Ex bat advice please!!!
« on: March 28, 2012, 18:07 »
Hi everyone, just posted on the welcome page.  I'm getting four ex 'enriched caged' chickens on Sunday, think they're around 17 months so I'm not expecting an awful lot of eggs. Have been informed they may well come with redmite - lovely! Just wanted any advice really on settling them in, treating them for redmite, or even what to go for when picking them (if we're given the option)
we have a raised coop with an enclosed run permanently available to them & will let them wreak havoc in the garden when I'm home, have layers crumbs to start with & I think all the basics covered, had 3 hybrids for around 8 months before so not a complete novice although I had no problems with them at all. Think I've rambled enough so any advice would be welcomed - thanks in advance!

bantam novice

Re: Ex bat advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 19:12 »
Hello there and welcome to the site  :D

You seem to have things well in hand and I applaud you for giving the ex-batts a chance at a chickeny life.  :)

Redmite lurk in the cracks and crevices of a wooden coop and only come out at night when the hens are perching to drink their blood.  If you type redmite into the search box in the top right hand corner you will find lots of info and advice.

If you have a wooden coop I would be inlined to give it a good clean and spray it with a disinfectant like Ficam W or Stalosan F then make a slurry of diatomaceous earth mixed with a little poultry guard and water and paint this on the inside of the coop in all the cracks and crevices.

Good luck and keep us posted  :D

By the way it would be great if you could post pics of your ex-batts when you get them and then take more pics say six months down the road to see the difference  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 20:29 »
Totally agree with bantam novice about redmite, also your a star for taking on ex-bats.
Welcome to the forum...Aden... ;)

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 22:08 »
i got 15 exbats 2 years ago and 13 are still goin strong they are really healthy looking now and the most freindy chooks ive ever had, they still are laying strong i got 9 eggs yesterday and 3 today! when i first got mine i left them shut in the coop for two days to get used to their new home as they will be stressed when you get them and everything will b new to them, sawdust, daylight etc. they will have to lern how to be chickens! then i let them out so they didnt get too overwhelmed, to be honest when i see them now i forget what they have been through and how tatty they looked when i got them. I hope you are as happy with them as i am with mine  :D

Pat4d

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42 »
Good morning,

I got 4 ex batts a week ago, I picked them up from the BHWT in Bristol on the 22nd. Having never had chickens before I didn't really know what to expect.

I opted to have the 'more feathered' option as the others were looking 'oven ready'. I opted for these as I assumed they would be healthier and as a first timer it would be better for me.

As you mention mine were also a first batch from enriched cages, I got them home and opened the box in their run, I had to lift 2 out and they were very calm, 1 jumped out on its own and the last one was a bit scared so was a matter of lift/tip box.

They immediately started to look around their run area and examine their food options. I walked away a bit and they soon found the water so I left them to relax for a couple of hours.

That evening I went and spent 10 mins with them and one took food from my hand. Also surprisingly they all put themselves in the coop and were all using the pearch.

3 of them are really friendly and come up to see me, 1 is still timid and doesn't get too close. Egg wise they are doing well, they usually lay after being let out for an hour, and the scared one lays at 3 pm ish. She also makes a lot of noise about it for 10 mins so I am glad it is in the afternoon. So far I have had 13 eggs.

One thing I wasn't prepared for is the amount of poo, there is loads.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Bit more advice

Started by ladyhotspur on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:52
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Advice please

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2007, 18:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Advice Again Please

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 17:21
by peggyprice

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.