Chicken not laying, rather ill.

• 8 Replies

michael85

Chicken not laying, rather ill.
« on: April 13, 2013, 13:22 »
Hi all

One of our chickens isnt very well at the moment. I'll describe whats wrong as best I can and then Id be grateful if anyone can recommend any kind of treatment

The hen is a Rhode Island Red, nearley two years old, lives with 5 other hens of mixed breeds. This one is particularly blaud around her rear and legs. Most of them have some small patches but nothing like the Rhode Island.

Without wishing to get to vulgar, when she poohs a lot of it sticks to her backside and I have noticed today for the first time that its running down and sticking to her vent. If we remove the pooh,it reveals a very red backside possibley even bleeding at times.

She has also lost quite a bit of weight in the last couple of weeks, shes been in a seperate pen for about a week and a half and hasnt layed in that time, hard to say if shes layed recently before that as she was in with the others.

Before being seperated she was very lathargic and last to the feeding bowl in the morning, now shes alone shes a lot more active and keen to feed.

splash101

Re: Chicken not laying, rather ill.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 13:48 »
Have they been wormed recently, and if so with what.

It's probably for the best that she is seperated because the others may peck at the blood on her backside, making it worse.

Have you checked thoroughly for bugs and lice. They are very difficult to see.

You can bath her backside in warm water to help remove the poop but if it is running down you maybe back at square one fairly soon.

Someone more knowledgeable with be along soon to help but that is where i would start.

michael85

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 15:33 »
Hi Splash

There wormed with Herbal Gut Conditioner, its a liquid thats added to the drink for a few days about once every three monhs, there next due in about 3 weeks. Might well be worth checking again for lice, especially now shes on her own it would be more obvious to spot!

Thanks for the advice.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 16:38 »
Hi Michael,  Herbal treatments are not proven to work.  Most of the members on here use flubenvet either added to the layers pellets or you can get some that is already added. 

As splash says you can bath your hen to clean off the poo which she would enjoy.  Make sure she is dry before she is put back outside.  Lightly towel dry and follow on with a cool setting of a hairdryer.  You can use a little vaseline around the vent to help prevent the poo sticking until you find the cause.

It is hard to tell if they have lost weight as laying hens are skinnier than meat birds.  If you have another hen same breed and size you could weigh them both to make a comparison.

There are some poo pictures on HERE for you to compare and see if there may be another cause.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

michael85

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 16:41 »
Hi.Thanks for that, can you recommend any flubenvet products?

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 17:33 »
You can get the flubenvet powder so you mix it with your layers pellets.  You can also get premixed pellets, Marriage layers with flubenvet and some poultry feed suppliers now have licenses to produce their own brands.  Best to check your local supplier or have a browse online.

The cheapest one I have found online for 10kg is HERE

michael85

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 18:07 »
My lot seem tostop laying for a bit when I change therefood so some sort of adative is probabley best for me.Not the most cost effective solution but is this stuff any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003L6HRRO/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=pet-supplies

Thanks

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 18:22 »
Herbal remedies are not proven to work, you are better using Flubenvet.

A list of suppliers and prices are  HERE

michael85

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 21:58 »
nice one,thanks for that, Id seen the Verm X stuff before but had a feeling it wasnt really qyite the right stuff!

xx
non-laying chicken

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 22:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
how to tell if a chicken is laying?

Started by eggranch on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 12:42
by Briony
xx
non laying chicken

Started by bowler on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 21:02
by grinling
xx
Chicken not laying!!

Started by jess290789 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 12:41
by jess290789

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 35 queries.