Ants....... foe?

• 16 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Ants....... foe?
« on: May 18, 2015, 18:09 »
I have lots of ants and I know they encourage aphids, at the moment I am trying to deter them from my Loganberry. Are they beneficial to the garden in any way? I would feel a bit better about them if so!

LotuSeed

Re: Ants....... foe?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 20:12 »
I think they can be beneficial. I was looking over one of my blackberry bushes a few days ago when I saw an ant stop at a small bump on the stem. It started "tickling" it. It was only then that I realized that the "bump" (which was well camoflauged) was actually a bug. Turns out it was a type of scale bug and had I not seen this little ant encouraging it to excrete honeydew, I might have thought nothing of it and ended up losing my blackberry bush. Scale bugs can kill a plant if left unattended.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 20:16 »
I rather suspect that on the whole they are beneficial - as LotuSeed has implied they will act as a control against other more bothersome insects. I think they can act as pollinators for some plants. They aerate soil and clear up waste. Quite a lot of good in all probability. Can be a PITA with aphids though.  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:23 »
I think they can be beneficial. I was looking over one of my blackberry bushes a few days ago when I saw an ant stop at a small bump on the stem. It started "tickling" it. It was only then that I realized that the "bump" (which was well camoflauged) was actually a bug. Turns out it was a type of scale bug and had I not seen this little ant encouraging it to excrete honeydew, I might have thought nothing of it and ended up losing my blackberry bush. Scale bugs can kill a plant if left unattended.

Isnt this bad though as the honeydew attracts more ants and the cycle continues. I may be very wrong.

I have wooly aphids on the kiwis again this year, tonights job is to jet wash them off. Worked well last year.

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:28 »
Ants are eating my lettuce  >:(

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55 »

Isnt this bad though as the honeydew attracts more ants and the cycle continues. I may be very wrong.

I have wooly aphids on the kiwis again this year, tonights job is to jet wash them off. Worked well last year.

It's good in that it helped me see and identify a pest I might have otherwise overlooked. The scale bugs were extremely well camouflaged.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 14:19 »
Ants help to open my buds on roses and azaleas, but when milking aphids I put jam on the leaves above the aphids and the ants eat the jam and then the aphids. Also planted a melon in the wrong place and the ants ate through the stem..that was my fault.
I don't use poison as there has been a green woodpecker in the area and that eats ants.
Chickens though have eaten the gooseberries!!!

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 16:20 »
So they are a mixed blessing, I don't like killing stuff if I can avoid it so I will put up with them and enjoy watching them!

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 21:10 »
I've got lots of ants but I've never noticed them causing any damage to my crops. I just leave them alone but watch where I sit!!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 21:34 »
Ants are eating my lettuce  >:(

I bet its something else, aphids probably, and then the ants are feeding off their deritus.
Not that my comment helps...  :lol:

Pip pip,
Balders

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 15:03 »
I loathe ants! :mad: :mad: :mad: :lol:

Especially when they find their way into my kitchen cupboards... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

madcat

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 16:30 »
My cat doesn't like them either - she finds a nice sunny patch of soil  :) and the ants take exception to her lying on their front door and bite :mad:.  Cat's skin itches >:(, she over cleans  :( and we are back on the Fuciderm (skin gel) routine again.  ::)

She is 17, you think she would have learnt by now.  Sigh.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Urban Farmer

• My first year as an allotmenteer!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19 »
I've got a lot of yellow ants in my allotment - should they be a worry? If they are meadow ants I haven't been able to find anything about them actually being bad...
Pipp
--------------------
You can see my plot diary here:   http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=119949.msg1412051#msg1412051
and any comments are welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=119948.0

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 19:25 »
I remember reading somewhere that ants actively encourage blackfly up the stems of Broad Beans so that they can enjoy the secreting sap.  I certainly have blackfly on my BB's as of yesterday, where there were only ants last week.

dave43

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32 »
ants did a fine job in my compost bin last year turned all the rubbish into super fine compost. not seen them this year though.
Dave

xx
Red Ants

Started by Novice on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
red ants,how to get rid of.

Started by captain beeky on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 23:03
by WG.
xx
Oh, the ants

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2019, 09:45
by Snowpea
xx
bl***y ants

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 13:47
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.