Wire worm

• 8 Replies

Starling

• Experienced Member
Wire worm
« on: August 29, 2010, 19:51 »
If I do not plant any potatoes (no even the decoy potatoes on sticks) Will the wire worm still die out in 4ish years?

They have made holes in all my spuds making way for slugs, millipedes, woodlice and to top it all a queen ant.  Once I had cut around the holes, fom the 2.5 kg of potatoes, I had enough to make roasts for just 2 people :mad:

Trillium

Re: Wire worm
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 20:09 »
From what I've read, wireworm is very difficult to eliminate. They'd need about 5 years to disappear from soil but even that is no guarantee:
http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2004/20040226/paper1.asp

The only good safe way is to flood the ground for 2 solid weeks then let it dry out for 2 weeks. But I suspect that's very difficult to do for most folk.

Instead, why not try growing your spuds in containers? A lot of folk are having very good success using this method, particularly scab-free tatties. Wireworms wouldn't exist in potting soil mix so you'd be free of them and could let your land have them die off naturally. I've seen some potato barrels online as well as plastic trugs (make holes in the bottom for drainage). You'd need to change the pot soil every year but that small price would be worth having lots of clean tatties.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 20:12 »
I think that they should providing that you cultivate the plot.  If you leave it uncultivated then I expect that they will remain, especially if there is a lot of grass.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 20:46 »
There is a thread in "The Show Bench" about growing spuds in containers.  I believe that growing them this way also protects from soil borne pests.  Well at least my uncle said it did.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63808.msg736447#new
Cheese makes everything better.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 23:01 »
Have the same promblem the 1/4 I got this year was covered in Couch grass and I planted spuds.  No one told me about wireworm but I have still had enough spuds and main crop looking good.  So I have the weirdest shaped roasties when friends come round.  Due to my rotation plan spuds won't be in that bit of ground for 3 years so hopefully less damage.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50 »
Unfortunately it's not just spuds that wireworm attack. A few years ago my onions were decimated with hundreds / thousands of the devils. Wireworm do gradually disapear as the ground is cultivated year on year especially if you hand pick them. Alternatively if you have a suitable water scource flood the ground as Trillium suggest. Could you loan some chickens for a week or two as they will reduce the numbers of wireworms dramatically?

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 22:08 »
Thanks everyone.
No chickens unfortunately Fisherman they would help with the slugs as well.

I think I will carry on with the earlies in containers,  may try some man crops as well if I have any containers left over.
The Picassos don't seem to be effected in the most part, so I may try a few of them in the ground next year, not sure if they have been left alone because the maris piper and pink fir are more to the wireworms taste.  I will report back :D

bluecitygirl

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 17:07 »
just been reading you comments on wire worm, very helpful new to this site  thanks.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 17:38 »
My spuds were decimated although the ground has been cultivated for over 30 years, not sure if it was wireworm but the holes are the right size for them. Open to offers on what else did it.

xx
Wire Worm

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 12:52
by willnbirdie
xx
wire worm test

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 20:44
by magsandal
xx
Potatoes - wire worm damage

Started by RichG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 20:01
by JohnB47
xx
Good floury main spud with wire worm resistance?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 11, 2013, 14:36
by Hobnails

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 39 queries.