Advice -lonely hen?

• 8 Replies

laurax20

Advice -lonely hen?
« on: June 27, 2014, 19:42 »
I'm new to this page, I have no idea how to use this so I hope somebody can help.. I have had 5 rescue battery hens, when two died we got 5 more, granted the old ones were about 2 so after their ordeal they have slowly gotten poorly and died until we had one of the old ones, mixed with the 5 new ones, she then got poorly and we thought she wouldn't make it, she is now fighting fit again, but she has been kept away from the new battery hens for around two weeks now as she was so poorly, she has now taken to standing at the gate where the other 5 are kept, but after putting her in this afternoon, and her getting pecked at, I took her back out. She just stands at the gate or under the bush next to the gate looking at her old run around with such longing, she has the house and garden to have the run of but I think she's lonely, is she best off on her own or does she need reintroducing? It breaks all of our families hearts seeing them so poorly as we got so attached so we don't want her to get bullied to the point she also gives up, as she is our last remaining original and we're so very fond of her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I couldn't make a new topic for some reason. Thank you..

barley

Re: Advice -lonely hen?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 19:57 »
how sad  :(

is there any way you can make a small pen within the area the others are , so she can be with the others but they can't attack her

once she seems to be accepted again try letting her out with them

another idea would be to get some live maggots and scatter them whilst she is there , the others will be so excited and distracted by the maggots that they won't be interested in her - keep watch after though  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 19:59 by barley »

laurax20

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 20:39 »
The fence separating them is only wire so she can see them at all times but I think it's a grass is greener situation. She wants to get in, they want to get out. They eat the food and keep her pushed out of the way. It's worth a try though. Thank you for your advice. I'll try them both as soon as possible.

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:57 »
Do you know what she was poorly with? You're sure it's not contagious?

If you're sure she can mix with the others, provide additional feeders and drinking sources so there are more than enough to go around.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 15:52 »
They don't live to a very old age...but how many water/food containers do you have?

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 16:43 »
Definitely put extra water feed containers in. They don't have to be special ones for chooks. Try putting her to bed with them once they they have gone in for the night. Keep an eye next day :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 21:18 »
I have been advised to put my two new Brahmas in with my three sussex when the sussex go to roost but I am so scared that they will attack them before I open up in the morning.
So at the moment they are in separate runs but can see each other and I put them all together for around ten minutes each day but not at treat time as that is when they start to run after them and peck them. Think eventually they will all be ok.
Hope yours will be too.
Sue in France :)

laurax20

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 15:15 »
I have 1 main feeder and 2/3 other dishes for them. It's mainly treat time or when they're not eating they get her. I keep trying them together but she's just so tame compared to them, who knew you could become so fond of a chicken? But it's all worth a try. And all your advice is helpful

grinling

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 16:26 »
presume they don't free range...could you hang some cabbage (spring is tasty), or some leaves offcuts.
Mine will remind who's who and currently they are 3 whilst Roberta is hatching.

xx
Advice for Lonely.

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 23:54
by FCG
xx
Lonely poorly, need advice

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

49 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 21:59
by chickenlady
sad
lonely hen

Started by snowy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:42
by andreadon
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.