Old rotovator idnetification

• 11 Replies

beanman

« on: May 07, 2007, 12:04 »
Hi Folks,

A bit of a long shot but I hope someone may be able to help.

My son-in-law has been given an old rotovator which he has passed onto me. Before its trailer journey to me the engine was running well, started each time after a couple of pulls. We suspect the journey shook up loads of rubbish in the fuel system as we had to do a bit of cleaning out to get it to run at all.

Being new to these beasts I have a heap of questions BUT before I can ask them I really need to know what make it is - well the engine at least!

There are no manufaturers marks that I can see other than a plate on the engine. The only marks that can be read on that are "0022 HN35 / 81371" (I suspect the model number) and just under it "7017253" (serial number??) Oh, and the tyres have "Hughes" or "Huahes" embossed on them.

Does this mean anything to anyone? Is there anywhere I should look to find the maker?

Thanks folks.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:35 »
a picture would be useful :wink:
always have a target
and an objective.

beanman

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 13:50 »
Now why didn't I think of that!!!

Not sure how to attach a pic here so have uploaded Pics 1- 5 to the Garden Photos album. I do hope that's not against the rules - apols to Mods if it is!

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 13:56 »
It looks like a westwood with a aspiera engine. I expect Gwiz will have a load more knowledge on this than me. I like the front weight set up.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 13:58 »
your engine is an Aspera.
oh dear.
parts are scarce for these, but a lot of the bits are still available as tecumseh engine parts.
got a spark?

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 14:00 »
hm, could be a westwood, right sorta colour......

beanman

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 16:51 »
Many thanks Bigbadfrankie & Gwiz.  I've just seen an identical machine, albeit B & S engine, on eBay so Westwood it is.

The first thing I need is a replacement recoil starter assembly; are these available anywhere? Would a Tecumseh part fit?

The other problem is how to 'tune' the engine. To get it running yesterday we took out the float adjustment screw from the bottom of the bowl and also the 'mixture' (I think) screw from the side of the carb. Now I can't remember how these should be setup. Can you give me any pointers please?

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 17:12 »
carb screws.
did the one on the bottom have a spring with it?
if so, this is the adjustable main jet. remove the centre tapred main jet ( the one with the bigger spring around it) wind in the other part into the carb bowl( this bit should keep the carb bowl attached) then BY HAND ONLY! screw in the main jet untill it stops. then wind it out again about 3/4 to 1 whole turn.
the one on the sid is the slow running mixture screw. again very gently wind this in till it stops bring this one out about the same.
on these settings you should get it to run-ish.
start the engine, hold the butterfly valve open by hand so you get very fast runnig (faster than you would use the engine under normal use) and adjust the bottom jet to get the engine sounding at its best. you then need to open it just a little more( just a smidge!)
let engine go onto tick over. there should be a tick over/throttle stop screw also on the top of the carb (usually) adjust it so the engine wont stall.
then adjust the side jet to get the best running(smoothest on tick over)
adjust the tick over/thottle stop to suit.
caution
check the oil level!!! you WILL blow the engine up on this model if you run it without enough. thats not a maybe, its a dead cert.(thats why there arn't to many around any more)
DON'T be heavy handed when you wind in the jets. if you are you will damage the tapers, and then you may as well throw the whole thing away(the engine)
easy dose it.
if your model hasn't got the main jet under the carb, its all done on the one in the side.

beanman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 17:28 »
Thanks Gwiz. Once I get a new starter recoil thingy I'll get it set up.

I took the precaution of changing the oil yesterday so it's nicely topped up but it's good to know how fussy this engine is.

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 18:20 »
oh yeah, i knew there was another part to your question.
have you no parts at all of the recoil assembly?
if not, an early tecumseh one may very well fit.
years ago a friend of mine had racks and racks of aspera parts, never thought they would come in handy, so he sold it all for scrap, makes me grind my teeth, they would now be worth a kings ransom.
do you have the starter cup still attached to the engine? some of these used to have a cut away in them so you could wind on a bit of string with a knot at the engine engine, give it a good old pull, and away she goes. or not, as the case may be. :lol:

ive just had a look at the photos again and its showing a starter recoil, whats the problem with it? if its just a bust spring, you will have far more luck getting one of them than a whole recoil assembly.
come to think of it, im pretty sure that you can still get the plastic recoil pulley inside as well.

beanman

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 21:11 »
Okay, you'll have to excuse the terminology but . . .

All the parts are there (or seem to be) and yesterday it was working most of the time,  just occasionally it would fail to engage. I think as a result of our enthusiasm to get it going we overdid the effort a bit. The small cup in the centre of the pulley that holds the cord worked loose so we tightened it down. Now the lever that comes out to engage with the shaft seems to be loose in its housing - which does look plastic but seems not to detach from the main pulley. The slot the lever sits in is distinctly deformed.

There is a coil spring in the centre hole and a much smaller spring to control the lever. I'm assuming it should be dragging the lever back inside the cup once the cup has been released.

So, a new plastic bit, small middle cup (although maybe not necessary) and lever would be ideal if they are available somewhere.

Hope all this makes sense! If necessary, I'll take another pic in the morning and post it so you can see which bits I mean.

Thanks for your help.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 21:17 »
dont fool around with the motor get yourself on ebay and get a new one for 50 quid. "Q" fitting not the gen shaft or the 18mm.

xx
Rotovator

Started by alexroyall85 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 19:23
by DanielCoffey
xx
M1 rotovator

Started by kinza on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 15:04
by kinza
question
WHICH rotovator

Started by Penfold on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 22:05
by Penfold
xx
ROTOVATOR MTD T/380

Started by hayter on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:49
by hayter

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 29 queries.