Silkies

• 3 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Silkies
« on: October 01, 2018, 15:55 »
Hi everyone, I put a message out not so long ago regarding my broody hen thanks everybody for your replies trouble is I've now noticed another problem. For a while now she's had green poo which has covered her vent but washed it recently and its returned I've decided it is diarrhoea but I've noticed for the last few days she's not been eating her layers pellets and seems healthy  in herself apart from that. She's eating corn fine with no problem and other things. Trouble is she's a white silkie and it really shows. Has anyone got any idea why this would be and is there something I can give her other than pellets to clear her diarrhoea up other than take her to the vet they don't seem to deal with chickens anymore. Any advice I would appreciated thanks

8doubles

Re: Silkies
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 17:05 »
Anything in her diet that could cause it ?
I used to have a Light Sussex hen that would go mad for lettuce , it would eat a whole one roots and all with dire rear consequences !   ::)
I have known Privet leaves to do the same .
When in doubt in often pays to go back to just layers pellets till the problem is solved !
Has the hen been wormed recently ?
I think a large worm burden can cause similar problems.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 17:23 »
Thanks 8doubles was thinking along the lines of maybe worming them again it's been a while but surely if it was that the other one would be the same only got two left till spring. Apart from the pellets as far as I know is the same as its always been and she was fine on that. Just thrown a handful of corn and she dived at that tried a handful of pellets but she turned her beak up at that. Can you recommend a good wormer use to buy Flubenvet but don't know where to get it from and anything else I can give to her to clear it up untill I can get it given her cider vinegar yesterday hope that will help

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 17:40 »
I always used Flubenvet , several places online where you can get 60g for about £29.
As i said go back to layers pellets and cut out all the treats , all she needs nutritionally is in the pellet.
Hens can get hooked on other foods , some even just eat grass and forget about the pellets.
Be firm, she will not starve to death ! ;)

xx
Silkies ?

Started by interlocutor on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 21:35
by joyfull
xx
Silkies

Started by Garderner Rhys on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 16:15
by Garderner Rhys
xx
silkies

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 02:12
by Tony H
xx
Silkies

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 21:45
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 42 queries.