crop bound chook

• 5 Replies

barneyowl

crop bound chook
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:48 »
Hi.  I am getting abit worried bout her now.  can anyone advise.?
Short history.
10 month old light sussex.  Swollen crop for about 3 days, maybe a bit longer.  Brought inside yesterday morning.  Syringed 15 mls warm water in.  Upended her and squeezed and massaged crop downward.  Lots of brown smell liquid came out.  No Solids.  Did same again last night with same results.  Syringed 10 mls olive oil in and left her overnignt in the house, warm and dry.   Only slightly saline water to drink... no food. This morning repeatd the proceedure with same results again.  No solids but lots of smelly brown watery fluid.  Crop is soft and the seeds inside are easily felt.  She is not pooing as far as I can see.  Looks and behaves well. Tail up and interested in surroundings.  Do I need to get ther seeds up? How long do I keep doing this?  How longto leave her without food?  any advice woud be more than welcome.  Thankyou  Barneyowl
who cares wins

poultrygeist

crop bound chook
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:07 »
Hi barneyowl.

I would suggest trying it maybe twice a day what you're doing for another day or so providing she's not too distressed by it but if the swelling doesn't reduce, you may need a vet to cut into the crop and remove the contents. Obviously this will cost but it apparently isn't a major surgical procedure, just nice if you can avoid it, and not all vets know one end of a chicken from the other! :roll:

You can syringe liquid paraffin into the crop but I tried and found it very difficult because you need to avoid the breathing tubes at the back of the throat (you can end up drowing her :shock: ).

If her breath is smelling foul (no pun) it can quickly lead to nasty bacterial infections and a bad outcome.

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
crop bound chook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11 »
This sounds rather like sour crop to me

Have a look at this article http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345 scroll down to the crop problems section.

She may need antibiotics for a fungal infection.

Foxy

crop bound chook
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:17 »
Just a note to add to Aunties post -if she has been on antibiotics recently -dont give anymore as the antibiotics could be partially responsible for the sour crop.
If it is fungal a good natural probiotic yogurt will help plus adding apple cider vinegar to their water. Keep an eye on her fluid intake  -check what her dropping look like? Normal? or green and smelly -this would make me think there is a digestive problem there.

barneyowl

crop bound chook
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 13:23 »
Thanks everyone.  I just feel that is sounds like sour crop so after reading Aunties referral I have given her some natural probiotic yoghurt and a softly boiled and mashed egg.  She has just wolfed this down and looking for more.  The crop is still very distended and she seems to be kind of lumping it around as if she is trying to get it to work... .  Drinking plenty of water... but still no poo ! I will give her another squeeze later on and then just wait and see...   thanks for the support  Barneyowl

barneyowl

crop bound chook
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:12 »
Good morning.  Choock does not seem any poorlier today.  Got more smelly fluid from her last night.  Gave her some cat food and yoghurt.  Saline water continues.  But LO ! :lol:   There is some POO in her cage.  Not a lot but it looks faily normal.  Is this a good sign?  And yes Aunti... she does have bad breath.

xx
Egg bound chook - help please!

Started by patsyg323 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 20:13
by Tazzy
xx
Crop bound?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 08:40
by cathangirl
xx
urgent! crop bound?

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 21:18
by grumpydad
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.