Growing turnips.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Growing turnips.
« on: January 02, 2024, 09:14 »
I've given up growing swedes as they never came to anything and were either very woody or tasteless. This year I'm going to try turnips in my raised bed which will help me make the most of the space and I won't have to climb in it to hoick them out. Anyone got any advice on what it the best and sweetest one to grow and any other tips?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

Re: Growing turnips.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 13:19 »
don't despair Goosy its the same for us we had a few swede this year but they where not up to standard I started ours off in modules then transplanted them probably a tad to late me thinks anyway as I said some came ok but a bit woody

so lets not give up I'm going to try again this year with a variety of swede called Tweed the old boys  used to say you can't transplant swede plants yet I see in one of the seed catalogues the selling swede plants 10 plants for £7.95 + PP

we bought a couple of swedes a nice size from Tesco for 15p and they cooked and tasted ok if I remember you don't plant swede on freshly manured ground I've got a raised bed that hasn't had any manure on it for 12 months so what's the best way of growing swede in modules or direct sowing and good advice would be very much appreciated RW

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 13:26 »
sorry goosegirl if I was side tracking a bit with swede instead of Turnips but we had the same problem as you with our swede and turnips that are basically  the same so any info by our better gardeners than me will be most helpful

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 20:28 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 18:54 »
Me old Dad used to grow a couple of rows of turnips, Snowball.  I used to eat them raw (and end up with a sore tummy)! :nowink:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 08:30 »
I’m going to try turnips too as I love them and they are hard to find in the shops.
There was something about swedes on Gardeners’ question time, apparently they like a big open space, hence they really are ideally grown in fields. Maybe they are always going to struggle in a raised bed.

Ali T

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 12:10 »
I started to grow turnips for my dad last year, as he was finding it difficult to get them in the shops. Tokyo Silky Sweet, Sweetbell and Milan Purple Top all tasted really sweet when pulled about 2"/5cm diameter  :)

Ali T

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 12:12 »
Sorry, forgot to mention I grew all three varieties in raised beds and they grew fine.

xx
Growing turnips

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 14:10
by pulse
xx
Tips on growing turnips?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 10:41
by Paul Plots
xx
Advice on Growing Turnips

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:32
by sunshineband
xx
turnips

Started by purplenic on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 22:32
by DD.

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 44 queries.