UREA for sprouts

• 5 Replies

squirrels dig

UREA for sprouts
« on: December 14, 2023, 14:05 »
I recently read on here that sprouts benefit from prilled urea
 I duly bought the smallest pack I could find on line - Direct-chems.com  1 kg. Now I am struggling to see how to apply it and in what quantity. The website isn't helpful.
Do I dissolve it? Roughly how much per metre length of crop?
This pack expires on 24/01/24 so I may need to give it to a farmer!
Any help, gratefully received, thank you.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: UREA for sprouts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 20:51 »
Prilled urea is very high in nitrogen.   The NPK figures are 46-0-0.  Compare that to say Growmore which is 7-7-7 or pelleted chicken manure which varies but can be 3 to 6-4-3.  I would say use very sparingly.  Maybe look up a few dosing instructions on other fertilisers and cut down your dosage accordingly.  I think it is usually diluted for farming use and sprayed on. 

It degrades because of absorption of moisture from the atmosphere in storage, so if you put it into a small cheap storage box or Tupperware container, it will hold longer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 20:53 by New shoot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 13:53 »
I assume by "sprouts" you mean alfalfa sprouts bean sprouts or similar.

I have never heard of adding fertilizer to sprouts.  I doubt this is needed, and question the safety. If you try it at all, YES, make sure it is VERY dilute!!

Here is a potential risk. Some crops when receiving high nitrogen fertilizer can initially store nitrogen in tissue as nitrate or nitrite, both of which are potentially dangerous (emphasis here on YOUNG plant tissue). This may not be a high danger unless you eat a lot of sprouts, but be aware of the risk, weigh your options. Personally I never add any fertilizer to sprouts, and have had no issues producing sprouts.

You can use your high nitrogen fertilizer elsewhere in the garden on other crops where the crops grow and mature for a while. Plants convert the nitrate-nitrogen into other forms, including protein, as plants grow and mature.

The expiration date probably has more to do with a date past which maximum potency can't be guaranteed. I would use it elsewhere in the garden and not worry abut it too much.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 04:06 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 19:13 »
I assume by "sprouts" you mean alfalfa sprouts bean sprouts or similar.

I think it was brussel sprouts being talked about  :unsure:

You have made me think about where on earth the seed sprouter is though and how I need to dig it out.  I have alfalfa, green lentils and various other beans that I could be getting going while the plot pickings are a bit thin  :lol:

Harry998

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 07:48 »
10-12 grams M2

If your going off the beaten path with this sort of thing it's worth keeping your eyes out online for second hand agriculture books. They go much more in-depth on fertiliser and chemical application than the standard gardening books do. Oxfams online books shop and world books are a gold mine  :D

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 13:07 »
We put butter on ours.
 :D

xx
Urea prills

Started by blood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 18:20
by blood
xx
Making Compost And Adding Urea.

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 19:54
by savbo
xx
Sulphate of Ammonia versus Prilled urea

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 19:14
by kingston boy
xx
Red sprouts

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 23:03
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 41 queries.