Yeast Nutrient

• 8 Replies

norfolkgrog

• thetford weather
Yeast Nutrient
« on: February 24, 2009, 20:02 »
 :( Just started to make a couple of gal of wine tinned strawberry and apple wine but I have forgot to get the yeast nutrient today question is can I make them both tonight and then put the nutrient in at the w/end (delivered via the net) or just leave it for another day...
Thanks

Vern
Fermenting                               Drinking
1) white wine kit                       White wine kit
3) Strawberry                            strawberry (tinned)
4) Norfolk wherry                      Coopers real ale

http://allotmentrambles.blogspot.com/

norfolkgrog

• thetford weather
Re: Yeast Nutrient
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15 »
Anyone with ideas, can I substitute it for something else???

Ta

Vern

jjbull

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 13:41 »
im sure ive read a touch of marmite can be used, but i cant see the harm in putting proper nutrient in a couple of days after the yeast, if it doesnt work put it down to experience

SG6

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 18:36 »
Wouldn't use marmite with Strawberry and Apple wines. The flavour/smell may linger.
To be honest I simply wouldn't bother.
Yeast needs sugar to multiply and that will be in the starter solution, then more when you put it in the main mix, along with god knows what else. Pulped fruit etcetera.

I have a nutrient around and if I remember I will use it. Never really been able to tell if it makes any difference and I suspect I use it occasionally simply because I happen to fall over it. However I have only ever bought one container in all the years I have made wine and I started about 40 years back.

We tend to forget that people have made wines for a long time and most of the time they used the basic items only: Water, sugar, fruit, yeast.

norfolkgrog

• thetford weather
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 19:07 »
 :)Thanks for the reply, I have done the 4 mixes without the nutrient and they appear to bubbling away OK!!
I'll stick it in when its delivered, in the past I have only ever done kit type wines ( long time ago )  so all this is a bit new to me, start of a new learning curve

Thanks

Vernon

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 20:25 »
If they continue bubbleing away quite merrily i'd save the nutrient for the next batch...cos this lot sounds just fine without it :D I never used it when i made elderberry and that worked out fine ::)

SG6

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 21:21 »
I could be wrong, very high probability :(, but I had always assumed that the nutrient was to go in with the yeast, water and sugar when you made up a starter solution to add to the wine.

If that is correct then adding it afterwards isn't really relevant. If it is bubbling away then leave it to do its own thing which it seems to be doing happily.

Perhaps I should read the instructions, better still I'll just forget the nutrient  :D. As I said I only bother with it when I actually bump into it at a convenient time. Think I just bought it to give it a go.

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 22:35 »
Using yeast nutrient adds nitrogen to the wine which aids clearing and ageing as well as helps the yeast work better and to higher tolerences
I would add as soon as poss.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 22:37 by hindy123 »
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 20:34 »
Hi, never use it you don't have to for fruit, there may be a case for it for flower / root wines but i've never had a bad ferment on all wines and i haven't used it for years.

Keep on a troshing  J W

xx
Yeast nutrient

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 14:16
by SpudtheBinx
xx
yeast nutrient??????

Started by SUTTY1 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 23:18
by SUTTY1
xx
Yeast nutrient

Started by LivvyW on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 20:30
by SG6
xx
can I substitute nutrient for something else

Started by freyaluck on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 14:08
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.