what tools do I need?

• 22 Replies

subeyman

what tools do I need?
« on: May 13, 2009, 22:03 »
Hi all ive just got my first allotment and learning pretty much from scratch (ive done some stuff in containers).
Id like to know what tools ill need to get started, the sites been static for about 4 months so a bit of work is needed, any info would be great, thx

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Re: what tools do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 23:30 »
Big fork and little fork will do most jobs and will probably be your most used tools, then a SS (Stainless steel) spade, hoes (Push and pull), rake, SS hand trowel and hand fork, watering cans, hose if allowed, wheel barrow, knife, string, pruning saw and secateurs if needed.

Can't think of much else.

Bob

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 00:39 »
Big fork and little fork will do most jobs and will probably be your most used tools, then a SS (Stainless steel) spade, hoes (Push and pull), rake, SS hand trowel and hand fork, watering cans, hose if allowed, wheel barrow, knife, string, pruning saw and secateurs if needed.

Can't think of much else.

Bob

This sounds good but "pruning saw" = never used one on my plot so only if you need it (??)

An old (cheap) bucket for the weeds as you dig (or use barrow!!)  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Laverne88

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:22 »
also........a flask
               Old chair
               Small table
               small gas stove
               frying pan and small saucepan
               sausages
               bacon
               eggs
               baked beans
               tomato ketchup
               plate
               knife
               fork
                :mellow:
Stay Muddy x

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 20:10 »
also........a flask
               Old chair
               Small table
               small gas stove
               frying pan and small saucepan
               sausages
               bacon
               eggs
               baked beans
               tomato ketchup
               plate
               knife
               fork
                :mellow:

You forgot the tea bags.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 20:15 »
the sites been static for about 4 months so a bit of work is needed, any info would be great, thx

In that case I'd look here.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 22:45 »
I've been using one of those for about an hour today Oldbean, to slice the weeds off of the top of part of an overgrown plot after it had been strimmed down. It's just about crippled me.  The pains in my should joint are NOT nice  >:(  (I wondered why OH refuses to use it). 

I'm going to glyphosate the rest of the plot   :tongue2:

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:34 »
I've been using one of those for about an hour today Oldbean, to slice the weeds off of the top of part of an overgrown plot after it had been strimmed down. It's just about crippled me.  The pains in my should joint are NOT nice  >:(  (I wondered why OH refuses to use it). 

Mmmm............. perhaps you needed a different length handle, or the blade needed sharpening. I sharpened my next door neighbour's. Before that it wouldn't cut butter.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 06:28 »

Mmmm............. perhaps you needed a different length handle, or the blade needed sharpening. I sharpened my next door neighbour's. Before that it wouldn't cut butter.

Run it up to me Aunty i will sharpen it up for you, it might make things easier.
Thanks
Kris

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 07:46 »
Mmmm............. perhaps you needed a different length handle

You have just highlighted my biggest bugbear with the Azada, the handle isn't long enough for folk much over 6ft 2in tall, and being 6ft 5in tall I am firmly in this category. Please please can manufacturers realise that we are getting taller as a nation, and that adjustments need to be made!
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

siandc

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:14 »
then a SS (Stainless steel) spade

Careful when buying a stainless spade, they're often very brittle! Depending on how hard your ground is. Ours has been between 2 and 4 years uncultivated, last summer when we took it over I had to use a pickaxe to break it up!!! However one of these: will last forever and take anything you can throw at it. Also being narrow will be lighter in use and have better penetration.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=2612

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 14:52 »

Run it up to me Aunty i will sharpen it up for you, it might make things easier.

I filed it and honed it with a stone Kris. If I'd have missed the weeds I'd have ended up without feet  :lol: 

The handle is difficult to hold as it's just like a long broom handle and there is no way to grip it when you swing it.  If it had a handle shaped more like a pick axe it would be easier to grip and then I wouldn't have severe pains in my fore arms.  There is also no shock absorbance in it and everything you hit with it (tuff weed stems, especially couch grass tussocks) just referrs the shock back up to your shoulders. 

Using the Adaza has convinced me that I'm going to use glyphosate to clear the weeds  :D

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 15:24 »
Can someone confirm that an Azada is just a fancy or trade name for an Adze or even a grubbing Mattock, a tool that has been around for hundreds of years?

And Adzes were always on a pick handle!

Bob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 15:41 »
The get digging ones are just on a long straight handle not shaped at all but with a blade just like and Adze. OH says it is a Mattock. Can't show you a picture as the site is "on holiday"  ::)

They would be much easier to use with an axe type of handle !

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 15:49 »
Just searched Mattock and you can get a standard Mattock head here:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Faithfull-Mattock-Head-22044.htm

And it will fit any length pick-axe handle, and you can get them at any builders merchants, the same place or screwfix for about a tenner.

Bob

xx
old tools

Started by griff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 19:47
by Trillium
xx
what tools do you have and what's the most useful to you?

Started by MJS on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 07:52
by Swing Swang
xx
Tools

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 12:43
by grendel
xx
Tools

Started by Plot74 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 23:06
by Plot74

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 40 queries.