Preserves on Parade

• 228 Replies

chrissie B

Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56 »
Its realy nice , lidl had their greapfruit on at 29p so got a few hubby loves greapfruit ive left the peel really big ,i had to use small jars as i had thrown out loads then was asked for some so only had small left .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 11:38 »
I've just come in from the garden with a mass of quinces from my little tree.  It has done exceptionally well this year.  Some are already bubbling away on the stove making juice for jelly and the house smells lovely  :)

I'll do a spirit based drink with them, but have the great luxury of enough to try something new as well.  A recipe for a  pickle combining quince semi-dried in the dehydrator and lots of chili and spices has caught my eye, as has a chutney recipe.  More research and some more jars needed I think  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 22:09 »
Sounds interesting ive never cooked with quince and only had it the once when i was given a jar of jelly butit tasted musty wasent keen .
chrissie b

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2016, 08:09 »
Musty  :ohmy:  Then what you were given wasn't quite right Chrissie.

Quince jelly should be a beautiful pink colour and is one of the best to eat.  Its always a bit of kitchen magic when a hard, yellow unpromising looking quince transforms into a jar of rosy coloured delicious jelly  :D

I'll put some pictures on once it is made  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2016, 20:55 »
Quince jelly plus a couple of jars of spicy quince chutney. 

Its not a typical chutney where the ingredients are simmered until totally combined.  This one is cooked fairly fast and is more a spicy, savoury quince conserve.   It needs to mellow in the jar, but it tastes very promising  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2016, 21:10 »
Looks lovely. Tomorrow I'm making gooseberry & mint jelly & might have a bash to use the leftover gooseberries up in gooseberry,orange & pistachio jam. I really do feel it's a waste not to use the leftovers from the jelly bag. Does anybody else reuse them? I sometimes re simmer then with half the quantity of water & then put that through the jelly bag again & mix the 2 batches of juice.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 21:12 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2016, 08:27 »
Gooseberry and mint sounds lovely, as does that jam :D  What a great mix of flavours and I like the idea of pistachios in there for some crunch.

I've done an apple and mint jelly that had a splash of white wine vinegar added and that is good.  Apples work well for jelly on a second boiling.  I haven't tried it with gooseberries, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Another herb one I have made that I can really recommend is rosemary.  I used apple as the base, but you could use other things.  Its fantastic with chicken  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2016, 19:42 »
Hmm second try at this got an error message the first time🤔
Gooseberry & mint jelly first of, followed by gooseberry, orange & pistachio jam, all made out of 4lbs frozen last years fruit. Not a great colour on the jam, it was pink the first time I made it

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 19:43 by snowdrops »

snowdrops

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2016, 20:14 »
Here's today's effort, allotment chutney. I adapted a recipe given to me by Mrs Bee, has courgettes,runner beans, aubergine- home grown but tough skins, red & green toms, onions, beetroot,Apple,sultanas. Hope it keeps

snowdrops

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2016, 20:18 »
Here's some more from a few weeks back, just checked & I've not posted them before
Strawberry jam from my own strawberries, first time I've had enough to jam

snowdrops

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2016, 20:19 »
Cherry jam from our tree

snowdrops

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2016, 20:21 »
Red current jelly from this years fruits, still got last years in the freezer

Very glad I've put these pictures up. I thought I hadn't made very much but the pictures show otherwise.

snowdrops

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2016, 20:23 »
And the last ones so far

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2016, 20:27 »
Wow you have been busy Snowdrops.  What a lovely lot of preserves to have on hand   8)  I am very jealous of the cherry jam  :)

I made my quince pickle today.  Last night the quince slices were mixed with chili, salt and tumeric.  They were very tasty when I sampled one.

Today they were drained, semi-dried in the dehydrator and packed in jars with more chili, salt and lots of roasted, ground spices.  Hot oil was poured over and now they have to sit on a sunny windowsill for a couple of weeks.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but it is a similar process to an indian lime pickle and I love that  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2016, 20:33 »
Thanks Newshoot, vie still got some in the freezer from this year & last year, it's a morello cherry so needs cooking. Quinces, now that makes me jealous 😊.
Hmm don't seem to have a photo of the 15 jars of beetroot & apple chutney I made a few weeks back & it's all stashed away maturing now🙄

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 53 queries.