Curly Kale

• 9 Replies

BazTheGardener

Curly Kale
« on: April 17, 2009, 09:54 »
My Curly Kale from last year has started to bolt and flower. Is it ok to harvest the remaining leaves before digging up to make room for some salad crops to go in. Going to try some Black kale this time as I've read you can use early leaves in salads.
First Time Veg grower

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: Curly Kale
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:04 »
Sorry can't help you with bolting question, am sure someone more experienced will come along.

But I was interested in your mention of eating early leaves in salads as i'm growing black tuscan kale and it's just germinated. Anyone tried this and how strong tasting are the early leaves ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16 »
My Curly Kale from last year has started to bolt and flower. Is it ok to harvest the remaining leaves before digging up to make room for some salad crops to go in. Going to try some Black kale this time as I've read you can use early leaves in salads.

The leaves will be fine -- you can use the leaves of any type of kale in salads when they are young;black kale sounds good  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BazTheGardener

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:20 »
Thanks will be eating curly kale all week. Looking forward to the balck kale, only two inch high as yet, a bit too small to try and see what they taste like.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:28 »
If it helps, you can freeze it sliced of chopped. If you are not going to keep it too long you  don't even need to blanch it. Alternatively you can freeze it as part of something like kale and potato cakes (which are brilliant fried up with bacon - yum yum)

BazTheGardener

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:33 »
Sounds nice do you have a link to a recipe. ::)

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:37 »
Its my understanding that the Brassica family are basically Biennials so they leaf up during year one, then set seed in year two. For some Brassicas we have altered that basic growth pattern so Cauliflowers we get them to flower early.

But for Kale the basic pattern applies, so they germinate in late spring, grow fast during the first summer and autumn and slower in early winter. During this first year or until heavy frosts the plants protect themselves from Cabbage Whites etc by producing chemicals (The strong flavours/sulpher) but once the following spring comes around, the new growth is all about setting seed before they would be attacked so no strong flavours and ideal for salads although I am still using mine as along with other Cabbage as spring greens.

Also growing more this year, going for dwarf and standard curly Kale and Nero de Toscana (Black) and I am also trying Palm Tree or Dinosaur Kale (Could be interesting).

Not sowing mine for a few weeks yet, to many earlier plants to get on with.

One good recipe for Kale and Spring Greens is the Dutch favourite called Stampot.

Boil Tatties, in another pan boil a chopped up onion, some Kale or any other greens (Or any other veg). Add other veg to tatties and mash the lot up, serve with any Pork product from Frankfurters to Chops along with a good gravy.

Bob

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 10:53 »
Sounds nice do you have a link to a recipe. ::)
No. All you need to do is chop and cook the kale, stir it into cold mashed potato until it is well mixed (the cold bit is importnat or they are too soft I've found)
Add any seasonings you fancy (black pepper and salt is good, or you can go for something like garlic) and shape into cakes about 3 ins across and an inch thick. You can also add finely chopped browned onion or green onion.
Sometimes I didp them in egg and breadcrumbs but they are fine without.
Leave on a plate in the fridge for an hour if you have time, so they are really firm and then Shallow fry in bacon fat or healthy sunflower oil until golden brown. Turn over once to cook the other side.
I have also brushed them with melted butter and baked them in the oven for 30 mins and they were pretty good.A bit like bubble and squeak cakes I guess  :D
Good with mustard greens too  :D

Enjoy!

BazTheGardener

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00 »
Thanks will try that later as i've got some mashed potato left from last night. Always make to much.  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:11 »
You'r welcome!

xx
Curly Kale

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 18:17
by Aidy
xx
curly kale

Started by reianki on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 19:00
by Rowan
xx
Curly red kale

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 12:34
by viettaclark
xx
Curly kale help

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 39 queries.