hi
     why does one block of sweetcorn have about two cobs per plant
     yet another block have none both were planted at the same time
     there are about forty plants in each sixteen inches apart at oppisite
     ends of the allotment

Trillium

Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 16:27 »
Not really sure why if they're both the same variety. Not all varieties tend to make 2nd cobs. And 16" apart is pretty far; we go for about 4-6" apart. And heavy on the chicken poo for higher nitrogen.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 16:48 »
18" is the recommended spacing on the packets over here Trill. That how mine are planted.

I can offer no explanation either if it's the same variety planted at the same time, other than "the answer lies in the soil"!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 17:05 »
Or is one end more shaded than the other - this has made a massive difference to my sweetcorn plants.

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 17:11 »
No idea about the orinignal question but while we are onthe sweetcorn topic .... will the pesky earwigs I have spotted be eating my sweetcorn? If so, what do I do?? To stop them that is... wasn't planning on dropping them off a napkin and a pat of butter to enhance their dining.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 18:21 »
I was going to start a new thread, but it seemed daft weing as there was this one... so I'm hijacking instead!  :lol:

I think the answer has alread been given earlier, but my sweetcorn was late going into the ground and is currently pitiful compared to my neighbours... what can I do to give it a boost?

Chicken pellets?

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:39 »
I think a liquid feed qould give quicker results now scabs, as the sweetcorn is probably just about to flower (mine is flowering now but you're further north so I am guessing a bit here!!).

How about tomorite or comfrey tea?

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20 »
Ok, liquid feed it is.

No chance of flowering right now, they're tiny! :(

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 17:54 »
Anyone know about my earwigs??

SG6

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 18:04 »
Since you know you are hijacking a thread why not do the proper thing and start a new topic.

Someone asked a question, oddly not about earwigs and sweetcorn but wht they may have had a difference and therefore I suspect what actions they can take the next time.

Wonder if we will hear from them again?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 22:14 »
I would remind members of part of the site policies:

"There is widespread feeling that this is the friendliest forum around and the Moderating Team feels very strongly about keeping it that way.  Try smiling when you type your reply ... no matter that you may disagree with an earlier post - doing so with a smile always helps.  Deliberately disrupting topics, unfriendliness or bad manners to others has no place here.  If you disagree with a subject challenge the idea, do not attack the poster ! "

There is no need for rudeness or unfriendliness to any other poster, and if there are real problems with threads then please use the Report to Moderator button.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

garddwr

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 22:25 »
I would remind members of part of the site policies:

"There is widespread feeling that this is the friendliest forum around and the Moderating Team feels very strongly about keeping it that way.  Try smiling when you type your reply ... no matter that you may disagree with an earlier post - doing so with a smile always helps.  Deliberately disrupting topics, unfriendliness or bad manners to others has no place here.  If you disagree with a subject challenge the idea, do not attack the poster ! "

There is no need for rudeness or unfriendliness to any other poster, and if there are real problems with threads then please use the Report to Moderator button.

Hi Yorkie,

Is it considered rude or bad manners to ask another question in the middle of the thread or "hijack"so to speak ?

Thanks

Yabba

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 22:28 »
Hi Yorkie,

Is it considered rude or bad manners to ask another question in the middle of the thread or "hijack"so to speak ?

Thanks

heh, now you have the conundrum "was it rude to ask that question?" "could it be considered as hijacking?" "will yorkie shout at me?"

it's a hard life huh? ;)

¥

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 22:30 »
Many threads on this site go off topic for a while and then come back.

To be sarcastic to another member is not acceptable - particularly (though not only) when they are a new member.

By the way, if you have a problem with a moderator's comment you should not take that up on the open forum but again should use the report to moderator button or PM Aunt Sally.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 22:35 by Yorkie »

Yabba

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 22:35 »
Many threads on this site go off topic for a while and then come back.

In all fairness .. some just wander off the plot completely ;)

¥

xx
sweetcorn

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 17:56
by Kristen
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 21:09
by Madame Cholet
xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 11:08
by JayG
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 08:42
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 39 queries.