Scythe advice

• 4 Replies

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
Scythe advice
« on: June 09, 2010, 21:59 »
I have a patch of very overgrown orchard (waist high and rising) plus an assortment of patches of long weeds/mint/nettles scattered around my veg plot. My electric strimmer can't cope and is going in the bin after snapping another drive belt. I really fancy a scythe but they're hard to find online.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, or even a second hand scythe?

Cheers,
Chuffy

madcat

Re: Scythe advice
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23 »
Alby is your man, if he is about.  He has used one seriously in the past and generously given it to my OH when he no longer needed it.  There is a knack to the swing and you will find muscles you had forgotten - OH used one as a teen, taught by an old boy, and now he has Alby's, he has had some stiff mornings while remembering how you move and how it is supposed to swing.   :D  You will also need a good sharpening stone.

When I did some research, before Alby's ultra kind offer - I found only one place on line offering them and quite a lot that said they did and actually only do slashers or bill hooks.  These are pricy but the website is informative.  There is a fair this weekend and competition if you can get to Somerset!

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:37 »
My father was an excellent scytheman but was equally very concerned about the dangers and would never teach me to use one. When I bought the piece of land next door which was very overgrown I bought a sickle (grass hook) and took it steadily and cleared things very well. I kept a pair of secateurs in my pocket for bigger stuff and also use a strimmer with heavier plastic blades meant for nettles etc rather than grass. It is now a beautiful spot tidy where needed and host to wildlife in places I have chosen. So lots of luck - keep at it.
R

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:00 »
I love my scythe, makes me think of the grim reaper, lololol But the duvet sharer doesn't get on too well with it and keeps nose diving it, trick with them is not to overstretch on your reach and swipe and keep the blade level and very sharp. If on a bank, work downhill! Trust me,lololol

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 22:26 »
Thanks all.

I did find the Scythe Shop and was slightly taken aback at the prices. Also, my wife (who has actually used one in the dim and distant past) has indicated that she would not be in favour of me using a scythe on our pocket-sized orchard. She mumbled something unreasonable about the cat wishing to keep his one remaining ear.  ::)

I'll be borrowing the neighbour's petrol strimmer and buying a sickle for the smaller corners...

xx
scythe or strimmer

Started by japagow on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 10:37
by japagow
xx
Using an Allen Scythe

Started by ihusker on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 21:12
by Fen
xx
scythe stone

Started by jeannie on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 18:44
by 8doubles
xx
allen scythe

Started by dwdwdw on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 17:44
by dwdwdw

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 32 queries.