I've made a decision

• 9 Replies

jmc1949

I've made a decision
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:57 »
So, as my husband is one of the 1.5 million who have to remain housebound for the next 12 weeks or so, I decided that I should do the same. He has spent the last 3 years fighting the cancer which will eventually kill him. At present the immunotherapy that he is on is keeping the cancer from spreading. I would not want to go out, come into contact with the virus and take it home. So last weekend knowing he would be on the extremely vulnerable list, I closed up my plot, I hadn't put anything other than onions in and the fruit bushes will fend for themselves.

My view is that at the end of the day, these are only fruit and vegetables and that my allotment will still be there when all this is over. I'm growing what I can in pots in the garden and in the flower borders to keep me occupied.  I still think I will go crazy only being able to go in my garden. But it has to be done.
Keep safe.

Goosegirl

Re: I've made a decision
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 13:12 »
Even GG can't quite find the words to express her feelings at this time. As daft as it sounds, all I can think of is to find some large pots to plant some dwarf beans, chives and baby carrots, then get some more to plant lavender, sage, rosemary and thyme to make a nice bath soak. The scent of Cornflowers, calendula and primroses will lift your hearts even in the dingiest of days.   
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jmc1949

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 14:11 »
GG, Thanks for your reply. I have quite a large garden, so I will be re-organising it to keep me out of mischief. It was a hard decision to make not to go to my lovely allotment for at 12 weeks but it needs to be done. He is just at a stage when the tumours have shrunk overall by 30% so I'm not taking any chances with this coronavirus.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 16:14 »
he is a very lucky man to be so loved

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 20:50 »
That’s a tough decision but as you say you can’t risk it. Have you let the council know or other plot holders, you never know they might keep it weeded for you or maybe a friend would work it for you for this year if the council allows?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 22:13 »
Bless you jmc 1949, I’m hoping some of your fellow allotmenteers can keep the plot ticking over for you.  Excellent idea about your garden - so many of us are going to appreciate these green spaces and the release they can give.  Hope you get good support from these amazing volunteers that have signed up to support our NHS . Take care both of you.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31 »
I think it is the right move jmc.  Remember you are not just on your own in your home and garden.  You have here as well and the forum community to  rely on for a chat, whether serious as you need to get things off your mind or light hearted as you want to be distracted  :)

jmc1949

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49 »
Thank you all for your lovely comments. It was a hard decision to take but as I said it will still be there at the end of all this. I have covered my raised beds, only permanent fruit bushes and onions in place. I've let the committee know of my decision and they will water/weed if necessary. They are lovely people.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 09:23 »
So, as my husband is one of the 1.5 million who have to remain housebound for the next 12 weeks or so, I decided that I should do the same. He has spent the last 3 years fighting the cancer which will eventually kill him. At present the immunotherapy that he is on is keeping the cancer from spreading. I would not want to go out, come into contact with the virus and take it home. So last weekend knowing he would be on the extremely vulnerable list, I closed up my plot, I hadn't put anything other than onions in and the fruit bushes will fend for themselves.

My view is that at the end of the day, these are only fruit and vegetables and that my allotment will still be there when all this is over. I'm growing what I can in pots in the garden and in the flower borders to keep me occupied.  I still think I will go crazy only being able to go in my garden. But it has to be done.
Keep safe.
Very best wishes to you both

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 15:38 »
That was a tough call to make.  I am sure you have done the right thing though.  It will all be there for you at some later stage.   Meanwhile you and your husband can enjoy time pottering in the garden together.   Stay well, best regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
This has made me so sad today.

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post December 13, 2018, 15:04
by Aidy
xx
The stuff that dreams are made of ...

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 08:21
by mumofstig
xx
Aaaaargh, I've made a raised bed...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2020, 17:47
by Growster...

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 49 queries.