Bent Leeks

• 13 Replies

Hitman

Bent Leeks
« on: November 15, 2015, 15:56 »
Hello,

On picking my leeks I noticed that they are all squashed flat with the inner leaves bursting out.  Is this purely weather damage (it has been windy here) or is there an underlying issue?

Many thanks

Hitman
image.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bent Leeks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 20:48 »
That is odd  :wacko:  It almost looks like the outer leaves have sealed shut and the insides have been forced to split out the side as they have grown.

Could be related to weather, but I'm not sure  :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 20:53 »
Any sign of thrips,leek moth? Might have got damaged when weeding then inners have grown out maybe
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 21:01 »
Looks a bit like allium leaf miner damage to me. Are there any tiny brown pupae in the stems?

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 21:21 »
Looks a bit like allium leaf miner damage to me. Are there any tiny brown pupae in the stems?
Looks like quite a number of my leeks which are riddled with leaf miner grubs!😟

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 20:39 »
Some, but not all, of mine are bent over and split, I put it down to weather. Going to pull a load of them up at the weekend so if it is a grub hopefully that'll prevent spreading to the other good ones.

Hitman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 21:14 »
Thanks for your comments.

I have seen small brown grubs so could this be allium leaf miner?  The leeks seem to have scummed to this quite quickly so what causes this and how can I get rid of it?  I haven't experienced this issue before with leeks albeit in a different raised bed.

Thank you

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:10 »
Sorry to read this, Hitman!

Link here seems to confirm your fears!

http://www.lichfield-allotments.co.uk/alliumleafm.htm

Anton

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 19:15 »
Yes, it definitely looks like the leek moth.
Two years ago I planted my leeks in the spring and they were jolly strong and healthy looking by the autumn.
I did the same thing last year and put in some later ones as well. The earlier ones were almost all struck by the blight.
This year I planted my leeks later but keep them covered with fleece until the moth breeding season was over (there are two seasons). A fellow gardener put in some leeks at the same time (uncovered) and they seemed to be doing a lot better than mine. However, I looked yesterday and hers have the dreaded lurgy and mine seem unscathed (touch wood).  About 30 years ago (but the moth problem started) I used to soak the leak in tobacco juice for a day or two prior to planting (I read somewhere that this helps to prevent pests but I have never been able to find the article again -).  Good luck next year.

Anton

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 22:32 »
I definitely wouldn't encourage soaking it in nicotine juice ...  :lol: wholly illegal and potentially carcinogenic  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Anton

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 10:29 »
I didn't know it was illegal. Since when and why? I used to smoke like a trooper at the time so I probably would have been impervious to reason.

Anton

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:56 »
Its an EU rule that you shouldn't use pesticides for any other purpose than that which they are licensed for.  This effectively makes all homemade pesticides off limits, even simple old soap and water spray.

We can't advocate the use of homemade pesticides on the forum as it lands us in a lot of bother, but our line is that what you decide to do at home or on your own plot is your choice.  Nicotine is potentially very nasty and we definitely wouldn't advise anyone to use it.  As you say, if you were smoking a lot at the time, the risks probably would not have bothered you :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 11:04 »
It's the default situation in the EU - if a substance has not been specifically tested and approved for use as a pesticide it's illegal to use it as such.

Simple home-made pesticides are never going to be tested because there is obviously no profit in it - other products have either not been submitted or have been withdrawn presumably because the manufacturers don't believe there is enough potential profit in it.

Some of course wouldn't pass the tests because they are simply too dangerous, particularly in the hands of amateur users - liquid nicotine would probably fail on more than one count, particularly if it was made by soaking old fag ends!  :ohmy:

Edit: oops too slow - never mind (at least we agree!  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Anton

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:14 »
Thanks for all your replies.  I never used fag ends, only fresh tobacco.  In fact I used to use "tobacco tea" as a spray for blackfly.  Many, many, many years after giving up smoking, much to my wife's delight, she saw a packet of tobacco I had just bought (having just remembered the anti-blackfly trick) and she confiscated straight away thinking I had started up my bad habit again. 
We used soap and water sprays for lots of things. Pure "savon marseille" liquid soap.

Anton

question
Bent Leeks?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 09:25
by fatcat1955
xx
Bent onions

Started by Tapper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 21:03
by DD.
xx
Brassicas - Bent Stalks

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 19:07
by corndolly
xx
Bent french beans

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 11:41
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 40 queries.