Re: Onions from seed - for 2020

• 125 Replies

rowlandwells

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 18:25 »
we have quite a lot of onion seed to sow  main season Hybound [pelleted] and Karmen also have a packet of Globo and mammoth [Robinson's] as we don't have any heat on in the greenhouse this year  I would like to leave sowings for a little longer if possible what would you suggest would be the cut of for sowing onion seed

this is a bit new to me as for years I have always had a heated greenhouse but someone reported me to the council for having a solid fuel heater so I stopped using it to keep the peace  :(

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 14:13 »
I am about to order my seeds  ::) went to get them for sowing and can I find them  :nowink:

This year will be Bedfordshire Champion & Italian Long Red.

The only thing I will do differently this year.. is dehydrate 80% of them, that has been a massive success this year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Eblana

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 18:52 »
No greenhouse and no propagater at new house so I am afraid this year all my onions are possibly going to have to be from sets.  I have a lovely little porch on the front of the house which is almost entirely made of glass but it has no power supply, while my OH is away with work next week I am going to get an electrician in and if I can get a socket out there I am going to invest in a heated mat 🤞 and try get some onions and other seeds started.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 19:39 »
I would like to leave sowings for a little longer if possible what would you suggest would be the cut of for sowing onion seed

I think that depends on the variety.  The Globo I have say sow by the end of February, which I think is the norm for the big main crop types.  The other one I have is Isobel Rose and that says it is OK to sow up to mid April.

My greenhouse is unheated.  The onion seedlings usually go out there about the end of January and I keep them in a mini greenhouse inside the main greenhouse.  If we get a really cold spell, I chuck some fleece over as well.  They have always done OK for me  :)

Chris929

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 15:03 »
I've just set off my seeds of Ailsa Craig, Bedfordshire Champion and Red Brunswick  :D

Do people start shallots this early or wait a bit later? I've got Long Red Florence.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 15:04 by Chris929 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 15:43 »
Long Red Florence isn't really a shallot, it's just a banana-shaped onion, and not very hardy - so I usually sow them middle of Feb to beginning of March on the window ledge.

Chris929

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 15:56 »
Long Red Florence isn't really a shallot, it's just a banana-shaped onion, and not very hardy - so I usually sow them middle of Feb to beginning of March on the window ledge.

Thanks! I had second thoughts over whether it is a shallot or not just as I hit submit  :lol:

Mr Dog

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 19:05 »
First (3) of the Mammoth Red through.

Chris929

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 08:56 »
Mine started showing the first signs of germination on New Years Day and are now under a grow light to get them going  :D

Mine are now up, 10 days after sowing. I purchased a grow light from amazon to stop them getting leggy.....BUT I didn't realise how dodgy a bright purple grow light may look to anyone passing by. I'm awaiting someone enquiring if I'm growing cannabis now... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 16:19 »
Not done my seeds yet, lost 80% of them last year due to damping off. Got some sets toady just in case, Turbo.
 Also just been looking at some tropical fish lights LEDs very bright and not too hot, very good for growing aquatic plants so wonder if these would do the job instead of grow light? for my seedlings.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 16:23 by Steve.B »

Pauly1958

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 09:14 »
Hi all
Just sown ailsa Craig in a tall yoghurt pot with lid on with a few holes in placed them in boiler cupboard till they pop through then onto north facing windowsill to grow on,going to do same next week.

Stringbags

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 21:54 »
Never grown onions from seed before, but I have some free Ailsa Kraig seeds so thought I might have a go. I can germinate them in the spare bedroom, but don't have room to keep them in there, so I am thinking are the seedlings hardy enough to grow in an unheated greenhouse in the north of England?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 19:34 »
Never grown onions from seed before, but I have some free Ailsa Kraig seeds so thought I might have a go. I can germinate them in the spare bedroom, but don't have room to keep them in there, so I am thinking are the seedlings hardy enough to grow in an unheated greenhouse in the north of England?

They need to stay frost free, so I don't usually put mine out into the unheated greenhouse for a while yet.  You can only do so much with fleece to protect them and I am in the south east in a sheltered spot.  Perhaps you would be better to wait until mid February and then see how the weather is looking then.

MrsPea

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 17:19 »
My onion seeds are just popping through now Ailsa craig sowed on the 12th Jan no heat in greenhouse i've grown onions from seed before should be interesting to see how they grow.
I Love my green house

jaydig

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2020, 17:29 »
I'm all behind like a cow's tail this season, I've only just sown mine!  Ailsa Craig, Exhibition, Santero, Bedfordshire Champion,  Sweet Yellow Spanish, plus some Long Red Florence. 

xx
Potato Days & Seed Fairs 2020

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:51
by cssg mick
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 22:51
by pushrod
xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 16:30
by Eightball

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 56 queries.