tomato plants need help!!!

• 10 Replies

cjgalway

tomato plants need help!!!
« on: May 19, 2011, 22:58 »
Hi,
I hope someone here might be able to help me with a problem I have with my tomato plants. I currently have 15 plants which I started off in early February. I have been growing these in a polytunnel tunnel and they seemed to be doing really well until two weeks ago. The lower leaves of the plants have curled upwards and are very brittle and easy to tear little paper. The new growth on the plant is dropping. They seem to have stopped growing any higher and I am really worried they are going to die after all the work I put in.When I first noticed the problem I taught large temperature fluctuations from day to day inside the polytunnel might be to blame but now I am worried it is something much worse. I have attached some pics so you might get a better idea what I am talking about.Any ideas what the problem might me? Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 17:25 by Aunt Sally »

Paul Plots

Re: tomato plants need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:32 »
What variety are they?

Have you fed them at all or added anything at planting time?

To be honest I can't see anything wrong with them.  ;)

The curling up of new growth is not unknown. Give them a chance and I think you'll find they'll sort themselves out.   :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:20 »
Have a look at this article from this web site, leaf curl is mentioned about 2/3 of the way down.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/tomato/tomato-trouble-disease.php

As Learner says, it's nothing to worry about.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 15:43 »
Have you had a few cold nights can knock them back but they should recover

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 17:26 »
They'll grow out of the curley leaves :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 17:28 »
They look all right to me. If they seem to have stopped growing give them a feed, and make sure they have enough water especially on hot days.

kiaweeze

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 17:56 »
My tomatoes curled up really tight last year, and after worrying myself silly they recovered and ended up 7ft tall with a massive crop. I noticed a couple of days ago the same has happened this year....so not worrying this time. I hope yours recover just as nicely!!
 :) :) :)

cjgalway

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 22:15 »
Hi thanks for all the advice. We have had some cold wet days followed by warm days so hopefully that is what is causing the leaf curl. I fed the plants twice since the leaf curl started two weeks with tomato feed. Just wondering how often I should feed them and when to know if they have too much or too little. Is the dropping top leaves in the picture caused with too much or too little feed? Also is it advisable to spray tomatoes for blight and if so when should you start? I'm really happy that you all think the leaf curling is nothing to worry about and appreciate your help

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 23:10 »
Make sure you give them plenty of water every day and also, now you have flowers, feed them once a week, and then when you get fruit, feed twice a week.  But always give them plenty of water, every day.  You can't give them enough. 

Also, are they standing on concrete?  I noticed our toms last year didn't do to well (still got enough), but they don't like the lime in the concrete.  Next year, raise them above it.  We put ours on wooden slats which elevates them about an inch off the floor

Babs

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 00:46 »
Also is it advisable to spray tomatoes for blight and if so when should you start? I'm really happy that you all think the leaf curling is nothing to worry about and appreciate your help

Growing inside a polytunnel should protect your plants from blight as the spores are mostly wind blown. When the weather hots up make sure you provide ventilation and don't allow the foliage to become sopping wet.

Blight develops when temperature and humidity are right for it so avoid hot damp situations and they should be fine.  ;)

Stop worrying.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 05:54 »

xx
tomato plants

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 23:56
by viettaclark
xx
tomato plants

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 22:09
by Growster...
xx
Where to buy tomato plants?

Started by Rita Craft on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2020, 17:19
by Mr Dog
xx
tomato plants

Started by davidmw on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 22:03
by DD.

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 33 queries.