DIY Compsting and Whitefly

• 3 Replies

Chris Sutton

DIY Compsting and Whitefly
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:03 »
Hello, I emptied and have not used my plastic compost bin as it was abreeding ground for Whitefly that devistated my garden 2 years ago. Yes, two years on and the little blighters were thriving in my composter. I want to start composting again either using the original plastic composter or building one from old pallets. How best to get composting again but ensure no return of the dreaded Whitefly? Cheers. Chris

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: DIY Compsting and Whitefly
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 17:18 »
Hmm, not sure but my reply will push your post back up towards the top of the page in case some people haven't yet seen it  ;)

Welcome to the forums  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lettice

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:06 »
Not really ever had much Whitefly in my garden plots.

But from what I've read and heard always thought one of the best ploys after a big attack was using an insecticide soap formula.
You can buy it, but plenty on the web of how to make your own.

Would suggest giving the bins a good clean out.

I do have Marigolds planted around my plot and that is one known deterrent for Whitefly.
Other deterrents that I have seen mentioned are Garlic and Nasturtiums. 

Always heard and read that having Fuchsia is a big No No near any garden plot, as they attract Whitefly.
I have grown Fuchsia for years in my front garden along with Marigolds and never had a problem.
A fellow across the road had Fuchsias that always got attacked and he used to heavily spray them. I mentioned my method and he now for the last five years or so has grown marigolds (my saved seeds) in small pots in his front garden and has not had one attack since.

Mintyboy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 15:50 »
I would be supprised if the flies in your compost bin are the same as the ones that devestated your garden two years ago. Those flies are likely to be aphids which feed on the sap from living plants, they would not survive in a compost bin with no living plants. The flies in your compost bin are more likely to be what are often called fungus flies or fungus gnats which feed on decaying plant matter and are an important part of the decomposition process. As long as you have a a lid or a cover on your compost bin they should not cause any problems.

xx
whitefly !!!!!

Started by teasmade! on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 08:17
by DD.
xx
Whitefly

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 11:59
by Springlands
xx
whitefly

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 10:08
by moose
xx
Whitefly

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:12
by surbie100

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 42 queries.