Tomato failure

• 19 Replies

GraciesGran

Tomato failure
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:30 »
Bought some Amish paste tomato seeds.  Treated them to new pots and compost, followed the instructions to the letter and not one of them have germinated.  The half packet of unknown beefsteak type tomatoes, best before 2018 are going great guns in an old pot with some cheap compost!

jaydig

Re: Tomato failure
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 08:40 »
It might be worth getting in touch with the seller just in case you have received a bad batch of seed.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:57 »
I will do.  Have given them every opportunity, perhaps I'm better off ill  treating me seeds!  My sister sent me some heritage tomato seeds and they are being sown today - under the ' bung  them in a pot and hope method'.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 09:24 »
I'm having trouble with 'Tiger Stripe' and 'Sungold' at the moment! 60% germination.

The 'Shirley' and 'San Marzano' have only been in a few days, but I'll do some more of the latter today!

As this year is already about three weeks behind, I'm not that bothered yet, but it looks as though my record of fresh toms in the second week of July won't happen in 2021...

Christine

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 11:01 »
Hmm my Sungold seeds dated plant by 2020 seem to be coming along gently.

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 11:24 »
Have emailed them.  The website says they aim to reply in 48 hours.  Which makes it Wednesday as they are a Monday to Friday set up.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 15:28 »
I get increased germination by chitting tomato seeds before putting them in a pot with compost.

Fold a paper towel in the bottom of a plastic food storage container. If you are growing more than one type of tomato, write the variety name on the towel with a waterproof pen. Get the towel thoroughly wet, drain off standing water. Put the seeds on top of the wet towel and put the lid on the container. Stick the container somewhere that is a little bit warm (top of the refrigerator will do). Open every three days or so, when the roots make little white points coming through the seed coat, they are ready to go into pots. I get better than 90% germination this way.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 06:40 »
Short exchange of emails and replacement packet of seed on its way.    Can't complain at that

Subversive plot - I do that for parsnips because my dad did!!!!  I've done it with beans but never occurred to me to do it with other seeds will give it a try

Am so impressed with the service I've received.

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 08:31 »
I'm glad you will be getting replacement seeds.  I always say that any company can make mistakes, or have problems with their products, but it's how they deal with any complaints that matters.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 09:11 »
Replacement is all well and good, but if the batch of seeds inside isn't much good, it won't help much..

I hope they are, fingers crossed, but we'll see...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 18:47 »
I love the Amish Paste toms and I am a massive fan  of pre-chitting.

This method works, I have been using it on most seeds and funny enough I started doing a good few years back after reading an article written by.... a Amish farmer.
All my hard seeds are pre-chitted, some are fiddly but germinate quicker and more reliable.
Hope this batch is better.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

madcat

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 09:18 »
All my hard seeds are pre-chitted, some are fiddly but germinate quicker and more reliable.

Do you pre chit your courgettes/marrows/squashes?  I struggled last year germinating them and was wondering about prechitting this year.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 17:39 »

Do you pre chit your courgettes/marrows/squashes?  I struggled last year germinating them and was wondering about prechitting this year.

I always do. One year I struggled to get them to germinate and ever since I've chitted them.

GraciesGran

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 09:28 »
Replacement pack of seed arrived yesterday.  Just been to the greenhouse where the disaster tray has been for the last few days and as to be expected I have 12 seedlings!!!!!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 10:25 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
Garlic failure...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 05:15
by Growster...
xx
Certain failure for chillies?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 19:50
by gobs
thumbdown
parsnip failure

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 13:50
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 55 queries.