Certain failure for chillies?

• 34 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Certain failure for chillies?
« on: March 24, 2014, 19:05 »
Just watched a youtube vid by victoriana nursery.  Guy seems to know his stuff.  But he said the exact opposite of what I'd heard as regards potting up chillies which is that it'll lead to "certain failure" if you bury the stem as they DON'T stem root.

Well I've seen loads of tutorials etc on growing chillies where they say bury the stem asit WILL root.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

Here's the link...http://youtu.be/zpW5SnRrODw

Thx in advance

Adri

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
Re: Certain failure for chillies?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 19:16 »
i took DD advice and my chillies are flying now :)

leggy

as DD said, bury them down

and two weeks later :)

i do love growing things :)
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 19:33 »
mine are 4in     with 3 sets of leaves...maybe its time i repotted them..there still alltogether in a tray

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 19:44 »
mine are 4in     with 3 sets of leaves...maybe its time i repotted them..there still alltogether in a tray

Yes, it is, as they need their own space now  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 20:16 »
I usually bury my chillies down when I prick them out as they tend to be a little leggy as I tend to start them off early. They always seem to do well. As to not rooting from the stem, I can see mine producing roots from the stem sometimes.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 20:18 »
Just watched a youtube vid by victoriana nursery.  Guy seems to know his stuff.  But he said the exact opposite of what I'd heard as regards potting up chillies which is that it'll lead to "certain failure" if you bury the stem as they DON'T stem root.

Well I've seen loads of tutorials etc on growing chillies where they say bury the stem asit WILL root.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

Here's the link...http://youtu.be/zpW5SnRrODw

Thx in advance

Adri

They root from the basal stem and the top of the injured taproot when transplanted. How is it a failure to plant them deep, whether they do or not? Otherwise they would topple over or break. It's a long way till the stem gets woody and tough.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 20:19 »
Mine are about six inches high and looking pretty good. Sounds like I need to pot them on though. Do I also pinch them out ?
image.jpg

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 20:35 »
They look great but id pinch them out when they are about 12 inch tall ;) so they branch out nicely
diggity dig dig

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 20:37 »
Check out victoriana nursery on yuotube.  A few good vids about chilli growing.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 15:45 »
Mine where leggy so potted on into 6" pots, buried deep and they are going great guns. No signs of "certain failure" yet, so fingers crossed. Has anyone tried not deep potting leggy chillis? Do they just fall over and die or beef up and survive? Just wondered  ::)
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 16:28 »
Mine are about six inches high and looking pretty good. Sounds like I need to pot them on though. Do I also pinch them out ?

The one on the left looks as if it's already making little branches, if so they won't need pinching out at all  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 16:40 »
Have to say, all this talk of pinching out chillies is new to me. I've never done it - but most of mine have branched naturally at about a foot high.

Are there any downsides to pinching out, other than slowing the plant down a bit while it has a think about what to do next? And does it work for all varieties?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 16:58 »
I grew 2 cayenne chillies side by side (well, in the same trough  :tongue2:), and pinched one out and left the other one to do its own thing. I don't remember much in the way of difference either in shape or yield (they're in their 4th year now and I am going to replace them this year as they're looking a bit untidy, although I have to say they're not looking like wanting to give up yet.)

Chillies are related to tomatoes, which are known to readily produce additional roots if the stem is buried - I probably did transplant my chillies a bit deeper, but not to any significant extent.......... :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 16:58 »
As for branching/pinching out the tops...

Check out victoriana nursery on youtube.

If you watch it's someone who does horticulture for a living and has clear views on the potting up and pinching out debates...think I'll go with what he's got to say tbh.

beesrus

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 17:05 »
I've never had the courage to pinch out my babies, as I've never had the available early warmth to ensure they don't stutter. If a bigger crop is required I grow more plants. I also stake plants if they grow too tall.
Keeping them warm is the main issue for me. They grow well enough then. I assume these commercial growers have no problems with heat and light like many of us allotment folk and therefore have a longer window to fiff faff and make their plants look presentable for sale.
I always pot on my chillies slightly deeper than in the original seed tray if they have stretched. Never had a problem.
The stem/earth interface with toms/chillies/cucumbers certainly seems to cause a lot of conjecture.
My input is to ensure you water from the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 17:09 by beesrus »

xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
garlic failure

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 23:36
by peapod
xx
Spinach failure..

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 06:44
by Benandbill
xx
Courgette failure

Started by dolby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 17:09
by JayG

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 37 queries.