Tomatoes for sauce making and salads

• 4 Replies

jambop

Tomatoes for sauce making and salads
« on: September 07, 2020, 13:43 »
So I did a side by side taste test making tomato sauce from Roma and San Marzano tomatoes. I have to say the San Marzano tomatoes made a much tastier sauce and it reduced much quicker as well . I had a great crop from my Roma's this year, and sauce making tomatoes. Roma being determinate are easier to look after than San Marzano but I think the extra attention required by San Marzano is worth it.
 For Salad I had Beefmaster F1 and Piccolo F1 both were brilliant for flavour although I would say the crop was not huge from the Beefmaster plants. I will grow both again next year but maybe grow a couple more beefmaster's. The crop from Piccolo was amazing which although indeterminate I grew them as a bush... I had more than thirty trusses on one plant and they are still going strong. Beefmaster made the best chunky tomato salad I have ever tasted and two tomatoes made easily enough for four to six people.

missmoneypenny

Re: Tomatoes for sauce making and salads
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 20:26 »
You have reached peak tomato 🍅  :D

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 07:22 »
This year was the first time I’ve grown ‘Roma’ (just the one plant from Intermarche, hoping to get an earlier crop whilst waiting for my own sown ones to kick in) I haven’t been impressed by the taste (although the voles like them)
You might try ‘Amish Paste’ which is in the same vein but tastier - and crops well.
Salads... ‘Join or Die’, ‘Caro Rich’ and ‘Indigo Rose’ are all excellent here, so I can only imagine that they’d be brilliant where you are. I’ll have seed if you’d like some!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:30 »
This year was the first time I’ve grown ‘Roma’ (just the one plant from Intermarche, hoping to get an earlier crop whilst waiting for my own sown ones to kick in) I haven’t been impressed by the taste (although the voles like them)
You might try ‘Amish Paste’ which is in the same vein but tastier - and crops well.
Salads... ‘Join or Die’, ‘Caro Rich’ and ‘Indigo Rose’ are all excellent here, so I can only imagine that they’d be brilliant where you are. I’ll have seed if you’d like some!
I grew Amish Paste for several years , a lovely huge tomato developed  for canning with very little liquid or seed plus a fairly tough skin which is easy to remove.
One big slice will often cover the bread in a sandwich, very tasty!

Piccolo is a very good tom which i first grew from saved supermarket tom seed on the grounds that if the supermaket ones were good home grown would be better, and they were ! :)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 14:44 »
"Piccolo is a very good tom which I first grew from saved supermarket tom seed!"

They grow a lot of those in Thanet Earth, and aren't half bad for a shop-bought tom! Twongos sell them.

xx
Windowsill salads

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 18:50
by tosca100
xx
Winter Salads

Started by vegman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 20:23
by muntjac
xx
Anyone Tried To Grow Any Of These Vegetables And Salads

Started by Matthew 1990 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2007, 21:43
by Beanzie
xx
Salads in raised beds

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 21:26
by purplebean

Page created in 0.596 seconds with 43 queries.