Sweet Pea is recovering...

• 7 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea is recovering...
« on: November 22, 2009, 10:19 »
Since posting about Sweet Pea's sour crop and visit to the vet for Maxolon syrup to get her insides working again I've been afraid of tempting fate by even popping on the forum as she's been so poorly. Up until yesterday afternoon I really thought I was going to lose her  :(  She's virtually eaten nothing for around a week and had lost so much weight. The vet weighed her in at 1.6k. Just a little nibble at a hanging corn cob and a drink of water with suppliment mixed in was all she'd take. I've kept her in our old dog bed filled with straw overnights and dreaded coming down to get the girls up each morning. She'd lost interest in everything. Mind you I could feel she had some strength when I needed to get the Maxolon into her beak!  :) Yesterday morning she'd passed the most awful smelling 'poo' and I thought this is it I'm going to lose her. She didn't even struggle much when I showered her bottom to get rid of the smelly liquid that had stuck to her feathers. I wrapped her in a towel and we stood looking out of my bedroom window when she actaully gave a little 'gurgling burble purr.' Later around mid-day when her rear was well and truly dry I took her out to spend some time with the girls for a while. Even though the weather has been vile they have an inner covered run where they all shelter. I left her with them for a couple of hours checking her every now and again ready to fetch her in later that evening for bed (still trying to think positive here). I noticed a couple of times that she'd been out to nibble on a corn cob I have tied to their branch and when she came in she devoured (soft) corn I'd placed by her bed earlier. She's gradually begun eating properly again and today actaully ran out of the covered inner run with all the other girls when I tapped their greens bowl! I now just have to juggle keeping her away from whatever gives her sour cuop (mud?) and letting her stay in with her 'sisters' as it would be cruel to part her from them. Sorry for such a long post but I'm so over the moon about her recovery as it's verging on a miracle. If and when she starts laying again I expect her eggs will be gold plated after what we've spent at the vets over the last few days, injections, meds etc!  :lol:

Jan.x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sweet Pea is recovering...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:27 »
so pleased that she seems to be on the mend, she is one tough cookie  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:57 »
glad she is better, know just how much you can spend at a vets, but as pets  they are worth it, eggs are a bonus, will google to see what an egg is later..lol

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39 »
So pleased that she is well on the way to recovery :)

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:21 »
Thank you Joy, grumpydad and Jeanette  :D

I'm still amazed by her recovery. It's all thanks the people on this forum as without you all I wouldn't know one end of a chicken from the other  :ohmy: Thank you too Aunt Sally for recommending Maxolon which gets their 'insides' working again. I'm flummoxed as to how it does so but it certainly does work.

She certainly is one tough cookie Joy and sick birds are normally difficult to get well again. I wonder if it's something to do with her being a non fancy Warren breed?
Grumpydad lol! yes what is an egg? maybe you'll let me know when you've googled it!  :lol: I agree that pets are definately worth any expense to make them well, whether it's buying in all the stuff that we need to keep them healthy or the necessary trip to the vet when all else fails.

Jan.x

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 14:37 »
Good news ::)

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 17:20 »
Brilliant news pink chicken, so hope it continues to go well! Granny Annie is such a goldmine of information, I have learnt such a lot. You have all become like an extended family so if you hurt, I hurt! Sue x

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 19:01 »
Thank you both  :)

Yes fingers very much crossed that she carries on improving as I know how contrary a birds health can be. I'm now paranoid about her eating soil and they all seem to like doing this just before bed for some reason  :wacko: so I bought her in about an hour before bedtime and before the routine started. They have a large pot of mixed poultry grit but I've also sprinkled some around their dig spots just in case this is what they are after. When I cover a dig spot up with a log they find somewhere else to dig  ::) Pea still hasn't settled for bed yet, is pottering around the kitchen and has had a nibble at her corn cob so is still obviously feeling much better, touch wood.  :) Her poos are beautiful and I'm thinking of having them framed and hung on the wall  ;)

Jan.x

xx
Bird not recovering from Sour Crop

Started by rufty on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 09:57
by grinling
xx
keeping run sweet

Started by audi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 16:14
by audi
xx
keeping run smelling sweet.

Started by izzy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 15:34
by Flowerpower136
xx
sweet peas - is this safe?

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 12:12
by neenyneen

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 40 queries.