You really must try this

• 2 Replies

Scribbler

You really must try this
« on: June 23, 2007, 20:10 »
It's a great recipe for corned beef hash, but using onions and potatoes (and salad leaves), it's a really useful storecupboard/allotment enthusiast meal.

Ingredients: 4 or 5 large potatoes, 2 medium onions, a tin of corned beef, dried thyme, dried basil, ground black pepper, olive oil and a bottle of red wine.

Peel the potatoes and slice about pound coin thickness, and put in a Le Creuset with a few tablespoons of olice oil. Peel and slice the onions and add these to the pot. Cut the corned beef into small pieces and add these to the pot. Take about half a teaspoonful each of the thyme and the basil and add these to the pot. Grind some black pepper on top. Don't add salt. Then add a few glugs of the wine and mix well.

Put the covered pot in a medium oven for about an hour. It's cooking as we speak. Tonight, SWMBO came back from Tesco not only with a bottle of red, but a third of a bottle can of cooking red wine just for the corned beef hash. Bless her!

So we'll have a whole bottle to enjoy with the food. Best served with a green salad - also available from your allotment.

This really is comfort food at it's best. Particularly comforting with the weather being as it is.

It tastes great and it's really easy. As I'm the cook tonight, my treat was to have a can of Hobgoblin while I was doing it. Well a couple really. Good for the tastebuds...!

I'd welcome feedback.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Esme

• http://www.myspace.com/esmewitch
You really must try this
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:45 »
I'll give it a go this weekend. An excellent excuse to open a bottle of wine and can point out that hobgoblin - my favourite - is essential to the cook too, lol!
All mushrooms are edible - some only once.

Scribbler

You really must try this
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:59 »
The more wine the better - hence the can. Worth having a bottle of cheap plonk around just for cooking.

Lots of variations possible with this dish - eg add some butter, maybe half a can of tomatoes, garlic from your lottie. Each time we make this it get bigger, hence vague measurements. Check for done-ness after an hour - it may need longer (fan ovens etc.)

Hobgoblin is good stuff. Reminds me a bit of Youngers No. 3.

Work calls.......!

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.