Run space

• 4 Replies

alexroyall85

Run space
« on: May 20, 2016, 14:08 »
Hi all

Going for chickens at the allotment soon. Have the coop all made for about 6-8 chickens. My question is how big should the run be to accommodate them. Have a quarter of an acre allotment so space is not a problem.

Cheers in advance

Alex

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Run space
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 14:29 »
If you want a single stationary run, make it as big as you can spare as the chickens will benefit from having lots of ground and it will help prevent a build up of parasites.  You could also make a double run and switch the chickens between them.  That would allow you to dig the run over and scatter some grass seed to grow.

I would give them 2 square metres each as a minimum to allow them space to express normal behaviour.  You can also make life much more interesting for them by providing perches at different heights, covered areas where they can make dust baths and things to jump on and off of.  Mine have logs and some branches wedged between them to make day roosts, which they love to use  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 16:25 »
I agree with new shoot, as much as you can spare.  The minimum is supposed to be 1sq metre each, but that is ridiculous.  Also agree with the double run if you can manage.  It gives the ground time to breathe and yes, sow new grass seed if necessary, but if they have plenty of room, the grass may just re-grow.

Good luck with it!  We don't have chickens now, we have had up to 200 here, but they didn't all stay till adulthood.  Many went to other homes at point of lay!  ;) ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 16:58 »
Two square metres per chicken is fine, but given that space for you is not an issue, then a little more would be good, if you can afford the extra for materials.

The "double run" does seem to work well. My daughter has chickens now and this is what she has adopted. Gives the ground a chance to recover/parasites not to build up plus gives the birds a change of scene every now and then, which they love!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 23:17 »
make it secure from rats and foxes especially on an allotment.
does the allotment have a limit for the amount of hens?

xx
how much space do they need?

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 18:59
by celtbhoy
xx
space

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 17:19
by ANHBUC
xx
How much space?

Started by CatherineF on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 08:24
by Sideshoot
xx
Just how much space do they need?

Started by meriad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2019, 12:54
by New shoot

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 40 queries.