Mint as a rat repellant

• 9 Replies

Helenaj

Mint as a rat repellant
« on: January 14, 2011, 13:23 »
Hi

I'm having a particular problem with rats as my ground borders a river. There's been some huge ones about - one even escaped by breaking a neighbours cage trap!
I don't leave any feed out at night but with whatever food is left on the ground, the harsh temperatures we had lately and the rising river levels washing out their lairs, I seem to have seen a great increase in rat activity. I've been using Eradibait as it's safe for poultry to eat if they do manage to get their beaks on it, but in my opinion it doesn't seem very effective - the rats won't eat it and I've since tried mixing it with corn and layers pellets, to no avail. After doing some research and coming across some "green" sites, mint seems to be the herb of choice to deter rats and mice - in plant or concentrated peppermint oil form. They can't stand it apparently. Has anyone had any success with it and do chickens dislike the smell (I know they won't eat it). I want to deter the rats and not my hens from the coop!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mint as a rat repellant
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 13:28 »
no and the chickens will probably eat the mint anyway. Have you tried using Fen Traps?
Staffies are softer than you think.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 14:50 »
my chickens don't eat my mint & no it dosn't keep rat's away neither i have rats this year never had them before but only had the chickens for about 6 months (this time round last time was 30 years ago ) if  a certain neighbour finds out i have rats they will put a complaint in and the chickens may have to go so need to find a way of getting rid of them quick ( i have just put a question on named  rat traps please check it out  )
so i guess we both need help with the little blighters although yours seem to be big blighters lol
hope we both get the answers to the problem soon 

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 15:10 »
Try mixing the eradibait with peanut butter and put in small plastic bags so the rain doesn't wash it away - it does work.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 15:12 »
I have a beck at the side of me and surrounded by farmland so will always have rats, however the only thing to do is minimise the risk. Remove the feed and water every night. Store feed in lidded metal bins (I use metal dustbins that I got off freecycle). Ensure that when you throw treats down such as mixed corn that you only throw enough for ypour chickens to polish off in the space of about 10 minutes. Clean your coop and run regularly.
Put bait down I put mine inside a piece of drainpipe so the chickens and dogs can't get to it and if you don't use erabibait make sure you check every morning for any dead rats and mice before letting your birds and pets out. Have baited traps set either in cages or out of the way of your birds.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 16:14 »
I think that if they are not accustomed to it a strong smell like mint may deter them for a while, if they are used to going through beds of water mint which is common along rivers it will probably not work at all.

The cage trap that was broken may have been a fox , badger or mink after the rat inside.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 16:15 »
I have a beck at the side of me and surrounded by farmland so will always have rats, however the only thing to do is minimise the risk. Remove the feed and water every night. Store feed in lidded metal bins (I use metal dustbins that I got off freecycle). Ensure that when you throw treats down such as mixed corn that you only throw enough for ypour chickens to polish off in the space of about 10 minutes. Clean your coop and run regularly.
Put bait down I put mine inside a piece of drainpipe so the chickens and dogs can't get to it and if you don't use erabibait make sure you check every morning for any dead rats and mice before letting your birds and pets out. Have baited traps set either in cages or out of the way of your birds.

Hi Joyful - I have some of those pheasant type feeders - small barrel on legs with a spring feeder at the bottom.  Do you think the rats can help themselves from those?  I often wonder why they are not made with a cone attachment to cover the spring at night.  Something for you inventor/designer types to take up maybe.

all the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 16:34 »
Hi Sue, not sure if they could operate them but they will certainly be able to smell the feed and can climb and chew through plastic. A vermin control officer (rat catcher to you and me  ::)) told me that rats can smell food from over a mile away  :(.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 16:38 »

Hi Joyful - I have some of those pheasant type feeders - small barrel on legs with a spring feeder at the bottom.  Do you think the rats can help themselves from those?  I often wonder why they are not made with a cone attachment to cover the spring at night.  Something for you inventor/designer types to take up maybe.

all the best
Sue

The people that normally use spring feeders would park a land rover nearby and stick a .22 rifle out the window. :)

A rat would have to jump up to bounce some food out of the spring which would be interesting to watch.I know a keeper who had grey squirrels doing this. Deer or badgers could be another possibility?

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:44 »
Thanks for your responses everyone - I'll persevere with the Eradibait and try the peanut butter.
I always have locked all the food in bins and use feeding trays which I pick up and lock away every night. There's never much left on the ground as I'm careful not to overfeed them, just a few bits of corn etc. I just think it is the perils of living by a river in a town.
The trap I mentioned was definately broken by a rat - it escaped as my neighbour went to pick the trap up. It frightened him to death! Needless to say this rat has now taken on legendary proportions!

xx
Fox repellant plant!!!

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 18:08
by Kathie

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.