A fishy question

• 8 Replies

Paul Plots

A fishy question
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:52 »
Advice please:

I have a very small pond with a few old fish. This year loads of baby goldfish appeared. Too many I think to over-winter safely in the pond.

I'd quite like to move some of them indoors for the winter and have a huge tank to put them in.

A good move or not?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

8doubles

Re: A fishy question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:24 »
They will be fine indoors, if you have any open waterbutts (without lids) with algae inside you can put a few in those too .
It is unusual for the waterbutts to freeze solid so the small fish survive OK.

Once goldfish do start breeding it can be a problem finding homes for them as they get bigger . ::)

If you can put an air-stone in the pond with a pump in a shed that warms during the day the improved oxygen level will help small fish to overwinter.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 18:01 »
Hadn’t thought of using water butts - thanks 8doubles. I'm a bit concerned that the water in mine might be stale or maybe contaminated with whatever it is the flat roofs are made of.

If I can get the room decorated and the tank set up in time I think (unless someone knows different) I may well opt for bringing them in until late spring.

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33 »
When I worked on the farm we had goldfish in the cattle water tanks and they thrived as long as the cows always had access to the tanks to keep fresh water coming in.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59 »
Not that I ever saw them but weren't they also kept in the cisterns of one set public toilets in central London long ago?  :unsure:

I think I would have preferred the countryside if I'd been the goldfish!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 13:51 »
Only thing to beware of (your probably well aware)

When you move them into an indoors tank, the water cycle wont be right due to lack of bacteria etc. so you soon build up plenty of nitrate/ammonia.

If you do partial water changes every few weeks they will be fine -just let tap water stand for a few days to let the chlorine etc ebb away

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 16:27 »
Thanks for that tip Lewjam. I guess it's similar to keeping tropicals which I've done in the past.

I'm wondering how to brighten up / decorate the tank as goldfish are pretty well known for eating plants in their tank (I think).  :unsure:

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 18:28 »
If you increase the survival rate by moving the young indoors, what are you going to do with them in the spring?

Goldfish populations tend to fluctuate around the carrying capacity of the pond quite naturally.  Gains and losses are normal.  You risk a bigger crash in the system if you pull the young from the pond and then return them in the spring/summer next year.  In the winter the fish will be dormant, won't be eating much and placing much less of a demand on the pond, on top of this cold water carries more oxygen.

Leave them be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 00:08 »
Thanks Alastair-I... What you say makes sense.

I had not intended sticking them back in again unless there are some over winter losses amongst the adult population of the pond.

I am buying a bungalow with a larger garden so there will be room for another pond there eventually.

As you can see the present pond really is no bigger than a large bath tub. (I hope the pic works) 
pond spring.jpg

xx
Sorry, another Bee question

Started by splash101 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 10:11
by Kevin67
xx
Dog food question

Started by elibump on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 16:16
by Elaine J
xx
More of a pet SHOP question

Started by totalnovice on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 16:16
by scabs
xx
Bee Keeping question please help

Started by fallen angel on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:01
by spottymint

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.