Soot

• 9 Replies

Chicken Pete

Soot
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:43 »
I have been given several large bags of soot from our local sweep, I am not sure how to use it i.e should I let it stand or is it OK to spread it right away? Also, how thick should I spread it as I have heard it can harm the soil,is this correct?
Any advice on this would be most welcome.

Spana

Re: Soot
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:34 »
OH says let it stand for 12 months. 
When he was a boy soot was spread on the brussel fields at 5.00am when the air was still 8).  The old boys would say they were going soot sowing :lol:

There is probably a more modern approach to using it now :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 14:32 »
Spana your absolutely rite in what your saying my Dad was a part time chimney weep after his day job he would put the bag of  brushes on the bike and set off down the village in those days most people had coal fires and would use the soot on the lottie or back garden  ::)

but any soot he brought back would be stored for 12 months i still have a small drum full it must be twenty years old i use it sparingly as i can't get any soot now the old gardeners used to swear by it its interesting to read about the boys soot spreading i would imagine that was a dirty old job not one i would keen on doing i never thought about using soot on my brussel patch good idea Spana i need to try that next year :D

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 22:36 »
We had our chimney swept a couple of weeks ago and the guy was telling me that in the 19th century sweeps would do it for nothing because they could sell the soot for more than they would get for doing the work. the old boys used to make a liquid feed by suspending a sack of soot in a barrel of water. It is supposed to be good for aliums but it does contain varying amounts of sulphur which makes the soil acidic, and various heavy metal residues.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 16:43 »
Thanks for your responses.
However, when you spread it how thick should it be? I appreciate advice re keeping it for 12 months but are there specific root plants that benefit more than others? do some not like it and presumably it should not be spread where you intend to plant seeds!!

Thanks

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 18:53 »
i think brassicas like soot though having said that i know some people used to sprinkle soot round the bottom of there  roses i would use soot more on the lottie  if i had plenty to spare  i know the old gardeners used to sprinkle it up the rows where they where setting  seeds working it in the ground with the cultivator before setting seeds soot was also used round the brassicas for slug control  :)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 23:10 »
not wishing to put a dampener on the soot issue -  its fround on these days as this residue will be high in carcinogens and should not be used in vegetable production. Plonk it on your roses (helps to control blackspot) by all means - using it on the plot is a no no IMHO....
Death OR Cake ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59 »
the soil in my garden is very dark because of all the soot that's been worked into the soil in years gone by.
Dark soil warms up quicker in the spring for early crops :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 19:31 »
thanks for that info cooperman so roses it is :ohmy:

dmhain

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 07:33 »
I am experimenting this year  :unsure: !

Where my grassy area meets the veg bed I have dug a small ditch, throughout winter I am puting my soot fresh from the fire along the ditch.  The idea is next summer when the grass is growing it will not grow along the line of the ditch, this will make keeping the edges clean much easier?

I might also start putting the soot behind the shed as in summer nettles always grow out of control, in theory the soot should sterilise the ground so no nettles can grow?

I have no idea if this will work but gives me something to experiment with!

xx
SOOT

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 20:35
by sunshineband
xx
Soot

Started by bigginge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:05
by Goosegirl
xx
Soot water...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 09:07
by lacewing
xx
Advice please Soot

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 18:53
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.