Allotment politics

• 3 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
Allotment politics
« on: April 23, 2018, 18:46 »
Is your allotment site like mine? The shenanigans that go on at the allotment sites I've known would make even the Houses of Parliament blush. From the tremendous egos on the Committee to the gardeners who strive as hard as they can to be evicted, to the people who don't know one end of a carrot from the other and are steadfastly unwilling to learn (yet amazed when they can't grow anything) to the perfectionists whose plots you can only admire. I've seen it all. It can only happen on an allotment.

It was always going to happen; if you throw an assortment of people from different backgrounds together, and have them as close neighbours, personalities clash and competitiveness abounds. While trying to keep it light-hearted what's the oddest tale you have about your site? I could fill a book

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment politics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 20:52 »
Mercifully our site is small and peacefull, with no comittee, just a site rep and a couple of guys who help him out.
Only odd thing that happened was last year when one old boy decided to load up half of his neighbours compost heap into his wheel barrow and add it to his own, with no explanation or reason. We were so gobsmacked no one said anything.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 21:02 »
Ha ha! That type of thing happens with us. Someone obviously steals something yet gets away with it as no one wants a scene. Trouble is that's a thieves charter, once they cotton on no one will take action they get more brazen. If you say we should do something you're seen as more of a problem than the thief. It took me far too long to realise this

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 21:24 »
We had an ‘up cycler’ who was raiding all the sheds on the site last year, he has left now so we are all trying to locate our stuff that was taken for up cycling funny how all the good stuff is gone and there is only a heap of rubbish left.

Also had one guy who swore he was strictly organic, he never had a weed or a spot of blight unlike the rest of us, when he left we found enough chemicals in his shed to keep the whole site weed and pest free for the next 10 years.  We discovered off the site owner that he used to be there at 6 in the morning before anyone else was there spraying everything.

question

Started by silver77 on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2018, 15:37
by madcat
xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
xx
New allotment t&cs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 11:42
by mumofstig
xx
Allotment committees

Started by snow white on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2019, 16:35
by Christine

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 42 queries.