does it get better when aged

• 4 Replies

kennykoala

does it get better when aged
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:08 »
g,day all abig hello from d/under,can you tell me if my stout,beer, applecider,will improve in flavour the longer its left after bottling,and after i finsh next brew of beer and its ready for bottling can i transferr to another 25litre container rather than into bottles and drink from this,?.thankyou all,have a lovely day,
g,day from d/under I love my vegie patch,

STIG1963

Re: does it get better when aged
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 20:46 »
All beers and cider will get better with age,ignore the advice on the tin that its ready to drink in 2 weeeks you can but patience is all.
Transfer to a suitable pressure barell for secondary ferment add 2oz of sugar for carbonating and yet again wait at least 6 weeks before supping
Happy brewing.
Brewing and gardening in abingdon-on-thames

greenun

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:10 »
Yeah but not as good as XXXX.
I think I got some seeds from you Kennykoala. (Signed mdhrt)
Funny seeing you here.
My Coopers get's better the longer you leave it that's for sure.
Greetings from Casterton vic

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:44 »
I'm a bit biased as I'm not keen on bottle conditioned beers full stop, and do tend to find that if anything they tend to get a little over fizzy if left too long. Of course what constitues too long is open to debate. On Jim's forum there are people who swear by bottling and deliberately try and keep beers for a year or more.

In terms of barrelling then depending on what type of barrel you use your beer will last between six months and a year and in my opinion just keeps getting better. If you have a white plastic barrel wrap it in a black bin bag to keep the light out.

The one thing I think all homebrewers agree on is that the "ready in 2 weeks" claim on kits is tosh, whether you barrel or bottle give it six weeks at least.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

STIG1963

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 21:58 »
I'm a bit biased as I'm not keen on bottle conditioned beers full stop, and do tend to find that if anything they tend to get a little over fizzy if left too long. Of course what constitues too long is open to debate. On Jim's forum there are people who swear by bottling and deliberately try and keep beers for a year or more.

In terms of barrelling then depending on what type of barrel you use your beer will last between six months and a year and in my opinion just keeps getting better. If you have a white plastic barrel wrap it in a black bin bag to keep the light out.

The one thing I think all homebrewers agree on is that the "ready in 2 weeks" claim on kits is tosh, whether you barrel or bottle give it six weeks at least.

Hurrah
Someone who speaks the truth..a 2 week wine kit ready to drink will taste like sh*te.roll on the summer when the hedgerows are full of free wine kits

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 38 queries.