Total Noob sediment question

• 5 Replies

neil1967

Total Noob sediment question
« on: February 27, 2010, 23:40 »
Hi,

I have brought a homebrew barreling kit and have my very 1st brew in the fermenter. :D
The instructions in the lager kit i brought said that the 1st ferment takes 4 - 6 days dependant on temp. It has now been fermenting for 4 days and it is producing a few bubbles now but this is now where i am stuck. :blink:
I know i have to take Hydrometer readings and once i get 2 the same on cosecutive days i'm ready to transfer
But everything i have read says to place the syphon tube so that it is just out of the sediment.
My question is will i be able to see through the brew to see the sediment when it is ready? as i cannot see through it yet, or will there be an element of guess work involved

Any advice / help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Neil

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
Re: Total Noob sediment question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:27 »
4-6 days sounds a bit on the optomistic side to me, there is no harm in leaving it in your primary FV for 2-3 weeks.
When your syphon into your barrel (making sure everything is sanitized and primed) put your tube into youe wort and suck. As the wort transfers you will see the yeast in the bottom.

Now the little secret....When you have finished transfering take 3 tbs of the trub and put that into your barrel as well. This will give you more carbonation in your finished lager.
HTH Johnnyboy
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:32 »
Ive just noticed your location.
I will be transfering a beer to keg on Wed/Thur if you want to pop over and take a look.

neil1967

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:44 »
Thanks for the reply.

I always think that leaflets are a bit 'text book' hence the post - nothing beats the experienced persons view.

By 'trub' i'm taking it that's a term used for the sediment.

Actually watching a transfer take place would be ideal but unfortunately next week is a going to be an extremely busy time for me at work and I don't think i would be able to make it, but thank you very much for the offer and the advice.

Kind regards

Neil

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:08 »
Trub is the yeast cells in the bottom of your FV. You cant miss it.

greenun

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22 »
let the beer clear , it takes about a week. If it's cold in the shed wrap it in a childs electric blanket or sit it on a waterbed heater on very low. I use one to warm the roots of seedlings. I have wrapped it in a layer of bubblewrap. use a tap on the barrel with a spring operated closer. Then you just shove the end of the tube in the bottle and when it hits the bottom it pushes up the spring and lets the beer in. good control.
On another note the yeast in the bottom contains vitamin b12. so drink the dregs. Commercial beer filters it out. When you drink commercial beer it drains the brain of b12 causing brain damage. Home brew fixes this if you drink the yeast.

xx
Another sediment question

Started by GYO Girl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 12:48
by crh75
xx
whats best to clean old container with, noob question

Started by tooo many seeds on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 11:51
by tooo many seeds
xx
Wines sat on sediment

Started by scabs on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 18:18
by johnnyboy
xx
Help with sediment in beer please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 13:34
by stompy

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.