lime and manure

• 2 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
lime and manure
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:27 »
I have had a look in the FAQ section but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Yesterday I prepared my runner bean trench and tipped in loads of compost, then sprinkled on a few chicken manure pellets, and then, having read somewhere that peas and beans like lime, sprinkled in a small amount of lime as well. It wasn't until later on that I suddenly thought.. oops... manure and lime... I shouldn't have done that  :ohmy:

So what should I do about it? I haven't planted the beans yet, they're still hardening off. What will happen?
Rachael

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: lime and manure
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53 »
If you buried the whole lot under soil; Nothing!  :)

The main objection to liming and manuring at the same time is that the two react to produce ammonia gas which is then lost to the atmosphere, taking its valuable nitrogen with it.

If it's buried under soil any ammonia released will dissolve in the soil moisture and not be lost.
If the lime is actually on the surface it might be a good idea to lightly fork it in (probably a good idea to mix it in anyway as it hasn't got long to get incorporated into the soil before planting out.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: lime and manure
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05 »
Oh that's ok then, I put it all in the trench and then covered it with soil  ::)
Had visions of evil yellow gas seeping up and poisoning my runner beans  :ohmy:

xx
manure and lime

Started by leftydrum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 18:49
by gavinjconway
xx
manure and lime

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 15:35
by Kajazy
xx
Manure and lime

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 19:12
by WG.
question
Manure & Lime? Where?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 16:37
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 35 queries.