Fruit trees in pots

• 4 Replies

Coop-a-Cabana

Fruit trees in pots
« on: August 10, 2010, 22:01 »
I have been reading the posts about the fruit trees at Aldi and as we have one very close to us was going to pay a visit tomorrow.  My question is could i grow fruit trees in galvanised steel dustbins?  I have two which this year i used to grow potatos but would love some fruit trees.  Does anyone grow their fruit trees this way?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit trees in pots
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 22:05 »
Fruit trees can in theory be grown in pots but I would think that their success might depend partly on their rootstock - are they a vigorous rootstock or one designed to be more petite?

Also, subject to anything those who have tried might say, I'd steer clear of metal containers for trees.  The metal will get baking hot in summer sun (what's that, I hear you ask!!) and that might damage the roots.

That being said, they're only a couple of quid so in a way it might be worth a try. 

Make sure you use John Innes No 3 compost not multi-purpose, as it has more nutrients and soil in it (both for keeping the tree healthier for longer and weight in the pot to keep the tree from blowing over). 

Put the pot in place before you start to fill it, and make sure it has sufficient drainage holes too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Coop-a-Cabana

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 22:14 »
Thanks Yorkie I'll have a wander on tomorrow and see what they've got like you say for a few pounds it may be worth a try I've got a feeling that they probably won't have much information on them such as rootstock though at that price.  Do you think something like a cherry would be better than say an apple or pear tree in a pot?

Matthew Gayles

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:29 »
Hi, regarding advice on the fruit tree in pots  - dont do it!!!!!

I bought a Plum on dwarf root stock and put it in a hugeeeeeee pot. When we had that hot spell a month or two ago it basically cooked the poor thing. I was soaking it twice a day and feeding as needed and it dropped all its leaves and fruit.  :( :(

Ive planted it in the ground in the hope it will regrow next year but i doubt it

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:59 »
Matthew is right in that fruit trees in pots do need a lot of water and very careful pruning if they are to be successful.

and the rootstock type is important as it is vitually impossible to cram a tree that is destined to be 3m tall and 3m wide into a pot of any sort. You really need trees such as minarettes etc ... not likemly to be the ones on sale in aldi tbh  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Fruit trees in pots

Started by Poolman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:49
by sunshineband
xx
Fruit trees in pots?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 04:05
by muntjac
xx
Growing fruit trees in pots

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 14:15
by I Love Spuds
xx
Successful growing of fruit trees in pots advice please!

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 13:23
by Kristen

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.