Growing from seed

• 2 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Growing from seed
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:57 »
Hi all  :tongue2:

I've grown veggies before from plants and just sowing straight into the ground but this year we've gone the whole way and got a greenhouse and everything so I decided to grow all my own plants from seed :lol:

So I have 2 types of tomatoes which I put in a seed tray which has its own lid, I put these near the window in the warm upstairs and some have started to germinate. These are now about 1inch tall so I have removed the lid to give them a bit of airflow but about 60% of the pots still haven't come to anything at all. Am I just being impatient? Will they grow or are they no good as the others have already come up?

Also I seem to be getting all these tiny mushrooms growing in the pots with them, even in the ones with tomato plants in. I keep pulling them out but they keep growing back! Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks x

Goosegirl

Re: Growing from seed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 17:10 »
Germination can be a bit erratic so don't worry. You have removed the lid but they are still in the warmth so be patient. As for the mushrooms, I don't know. It's not algae on the surface is it - if so, it means that you are over-watering them. Seeds only need dampness to germinate and even after that, they are only small so don't need a lot of water. Get used to the weight of the pots after watering then later on and don't rely on the surface compost because if that feels dry, the underneath may still hold enough moisture to sustain the seedlings. If they feel really light ( before the seedlings wilt) then water them but sparingly and from the bottom.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing from seed
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 17:54 »
Ah thats possibly where I've been going wrong, I've been paranoid about them getting dry so whenever they've been dry on top I've been watering them :blink: I might try putting some more in just in case. Thanks for your reply, most helpful.

xx
Growing from seed

Started by Jasper1 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 16:26
by Jasper1
xx
Help please (growing from seed)

Started by PeterR on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 18:41
by maria
xx
Growing from seed

Started by Cathers_99 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 19:53
by Stree
xx
Growing onions from seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 20:49
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 38 queries.