rhubarb question

• 11 Replies

titch

rhubarb question
« on: February 02, 2009, 22:51 »
I love rhubarb and would love to grow my own.
dont have a plant though, but getting a lottie soon, so the question is......
if i buy a new plant ie from one of the seed catalogues will it fruit this year, or should i try to find someone  (maybe freecycle) who has one to split, and will that fruit this year?

just keep breathing................

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: rhubarb question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 23:25 »
There is bound to be someone on your allotment who will give you some, if not then  a quick request on freecycle should provide some.  Whilst it would then be best to leave it for a year I guess that you won't be able to leave it so just pick a few storks to have one lovely crumble! ;)

titch

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 23:36 »
thanks, it would be hard to resist - adore it but its so expensive often, a friend used to deep me in rhubarb, she had a lovely crown, she hated it, so i used to releive her of it.
think will go down the freecycle route in a few weeks when i have the lottie to put it in, dont want to muck it about - the lotties are new ones so dont think anyone will have any to spare, but should be having a meeitng so will ask then

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 23:41 »
It's tempting to try to take a few stalks this year but personally I'd leave it as those few stalks are helping provide nourishment for the roots, which will be big enough by next year for you to start gently harvesting. By year three, you'll have as much as you can handle.
Lotty holders might not have rhubarb themselves, but they might have friends or family who'd be glad to divide or be rid of their rhubarb.

Mr B

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 14:06 »
Hi Titch,
    I have just got a couple of crowns from SCATS, Timperley Early at £1.99 each which I thought was a good price.
Regards,
Mr B

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 15:59 »
Focus, of all places, has Timperly Early crowns reduced near me...

When would I need to get them in the ground (bearing in mind my plot is currently under nearly a foot of snow)?

If I kept them in the packaging in a cool place, how long do I have?

philskin

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 18:46 »
I was lucky enough to get a large crown from a very nice chap of this site ,although i was very tempted last year to pick it i didnt just fed it and covered it with manure .So hopefully this year we will me having some lovely crumble ,honestly it pays to leave well alone for the 1st year
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

outmowed

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 19:02 »
Is it safe to harvest from an established crown thats been moved recently? December to be exact.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 19:08 »
You may discover when you get your plot there is already some rhubarb there!  Rhubarb and lotties go hand in hand!!!

Shame you are not nearer us, the people next door HATE rhubarb, and 2 years ago he gave me about 40lb of the stuff.  Last year I said to him, why don't you put some in carrier bags and put them out the front for 50p or £1 a bag and give the money to the children?

He put them out there for 20p a stick and sold about 10 sticks all summer!!!!!!    :) :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 19:14 »
It is best to let it put its roots down for the first season and build up strength or when you pull it you will pull it right out of the ground. I know it is difficult to wait, but someone on the site probably will have loads that they won't use, and will give you some if you ask nicely.

titch

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 20:19 »
i will ask people very nicely, so it will be a while til i can crumble my own - knew it was a long game, :blink: but ah well :closedeyes:, maybe i will find someone who has it and hates it, you never know  :D

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 20:26 »
Quote from: scabs
If I kept them in the packaging in a cool place, how long do I have?

Check the package soil or holding material from time to time to keep it slightly damp and the roots will last another month or more if you can't plant them out soon. Just don't make it soggy in the package.

xx
Rhubarb question.

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 20:41
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Rhubarb question

Started by elibump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 16:53
by elibump
xx
Rhubarb question

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 14:59
by Trillium
xx
Another rhubarb question.

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 08:52
by ianl

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 35 queries.