Newbie Question.

• 3 Replies

Lenny B

Newbie Question.
« on: September 27, 2008, 23:11 »
Hello all!
I'm in the process of starting a small raised bed in my garden for the purpose of growing some vegetables for my other hobby.......cooking. My question is that I dont have access to any fresh manure or my own compost at this early time, so what is the best alternative off the shelf so to speak to get me started? And do I leave it for a while before I start planting or can I plant straight away? Any feedback would be great.

FCG

Newbie Question.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 00:20 »
Planting at this time of year is a bit hit and miss. You can still get some things in though. I would suggest some broad beans later this month along with some overwintering garlic & onions right now.

I would suggest putting some general multi purpose in and double digging it in. Possibly add some of the expensive stuff with nutrimate in on top (brand begins with H). If you are planning for parsnips and carrots though remember they do not like too rich a soil.

Lenny B

Newbie Question.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:34 »
Thanks for that..........just what I needed to know as my main concern is just getting the soil right before I start. Dont want to rush into planting  and buggering it all up just for the sake of it you know!

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Newbie Question.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05 »
Just a word of warning, if you only have a small space, you may not want to plant it all up with overwintering veg. You will have to wait until they are ready to harvest May - July before the ground is freed up.

No doubt if your getting interested in growing veg, you'll be chomping at the bit by next spring to get more in.
Liv.

xx
Newbie question.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 13:06
by JayG
xx
Newbie question

Started by Judithm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 19:55
by gremlin
xx
A Newbie question

Started by drippin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 19:35
by Trillium
question
Another newbie with a question!

Started by IanM2 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 14:02
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 38 queries.