Autumn planting potatoes - why not?

• 7 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Autumn planting potatoes - why not?
« on: October 23, 2018, 05:24 »
I randomly came across something on the net which suggested planting potatoes in Autumn so they can get a good start in the Spring. I'm not talking about the ones you grow for the festive season. Admittedly the article was by an American but it was an area where they have frosts. Can anyone tell me why this isn't a good idea? Given the number of volunteer spuds I get, they can obviously survive.  I have light soil which warms up easily.

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Autumn planting potatoes - why not?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:49 »
I suppose it depends on the severity and longevity of the frosts in the writers area compared to the often brutal prolonged periods we get here in the UK. I've hears of people growing their pots in bags over winter and dragging them into a heated greenhouse or shed during the colder periods but those were usually harvested in December for Christmas dinner.

I planted a load of 2nd crop Carlingford in the ground in August as an experiment to see how they battle the frosts, only half grew but are showing good foliage growth. Only time will tell if they survive the year.

To then expect them to get through Jan and Feb would seem a bit optimistic, but if you have the space and are prepared to be disappointed, what's to lose?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:32 »
One of our plots was left with a whole row of unharvested potatoes. Considering how many plants could have grown from those tubers, there were  relatively few volunteers this year there, after the cold spring. (Nobody dug them because we all thought the tenant would be back :( )
I don't think America has the same slug problem that we do, either.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:13 »
So my first question would be.... Where are you going to get seed spuds from at this time of the year?

I would never re-sow my own or supermarket spuds.

For us here (in Blackpool) it is probably a no no as we are quite low lying and quite often in winter the plots would be underwater or the water just below the surface, yes I agree that spuds are pretty tough and they generally survive but I just wouldn't want to put an entire bed in the hope that they survive the winter thats if I could get the seed spuds to start with.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:14 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Jeebus

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 11:31 »
Some websites are still selling second-cropping potatoes. Although I'm not planting any this late myself, I did plant some in mid-September in containers to see if I can get some Christmas spuds. A lot of articles online say that this is a waste of time and I won't get many, but you never know until you try.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 16:44 »
Thanks for the replies, I was canvassing opinion from you guys as you are so knowledgeable. I think we sometimes have to think a bit differently with the way climate change is developing, although we may get more cold Springs, who knows? If I can get some seed spuds I may try it next year, I won't have lost much if it fails, I have the space.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:56 »
I used to sow mine with an Irish chap on our site.... "In with Paddy and Out with Billy" sow we would sow March 17th.
One year I staggered them and had 1 row in on the 17th and then a second row April 17th, the row in April caught up, over took and was more productive than the March ones, since then I have always sown in April and upto this year as we had far too much sun have produced good crops, more often better than my Irish friend!
If you dont ask, you dont get so try it and let us all know, perhaps you might even convince us all it is a good thing to do and change our mindset.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 18:17 »
Just had to take out all my Christmas spuds today due to, yes you guessed it, blight. So there you go, they might catch late blight!

xx
Planting potatoes in the autumn

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2022, 15:31
by Anton
question
Autumn planting veg

Started by Bertie9491 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2022, 07:42
by lettice
xx
Autumn planting?

Started by Beccy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 22:46
by j haywood
xx
Autumn Planting

Started by Scrubby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:18
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 40 queries.