Earwigs

• 3 Replies

Luther

Earwigs
« on: July 11, 2007, 22:55 »
I regularly have to clear out small groups of earwigs which occupy the various sections of my 3 chicken arks. I usually find them in the small dark corners of the arks and in the corner of the nest boxes under the saw dust.
I cannot find any information to suggest they are a problem for the chooks, and from what I can gather they are nocturnal creatures, who feed on other insects.
I also get intermittent problems with red mites, and I was wondering if the earwigs are possibly feeding on the mites when they are present.
Has anyone had similar experiences with earwigs? If they are feeding on mites, they are welcome to stay!!....I might save some money on anti-mite products!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Earwigs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 14:05 »
An interesting thought Luther  :idea:

jack russell

Earwigs
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 00:03 »
hi all

just to bring this to the top does anyone have any further input are ear wigs a friend or foe

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

muntjac

Earwigs
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:07 »
earwigs are a friend in that they eat bugs off ya plants etc but also they damage ur p[lants they like dark places to hide in .the female is the one as will nip ya if she is guarding eggs . to get rid clear any rubbish away n use  plant pots stuffed with straw to let em nest in .then burn or bin the straw
still alive /............

xx
earwigs?!?

Started by kellym on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 01:38
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 40 queries.