polytunnel help please

• 10 Replies

sunlover

polytunnel help please
« on: May 16, 2008, 15:42 »
I've read all the existing threads re polytunnels - does anyone have experience of building both a diy (ie, water pipe hoops) and a kit polytunnel please?  OH is pretty DIY minded (just loses his temper a lot) and I'm not too bad.  I found one on the web today which is really cheap (can't find link now) and am wondering what's the best to do (can't make a decision me!) :?
Thanks in advance
Sunny

Trillium

polytunnel help please
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 16:10 »
Here's a video clip to build your own with waterpipes. You'll need to download the free Realplayer if you don't have it. It's on the same BBC site.

bbc.co.uk/gardening/today_in_your_garden/geoffhamilton_index.shtml

agapanthus

Re: polytunnel help please
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:36 »
Quote from: "sunlover"
I've read all the existing threads re polytunnels - does anyone have experience of building both a diy (ie, water pipe hoops) and a kit polytunnel please?  OH is pretty DIY minded (just loses his temper a lot) and I'm not too bad.  I found one on the web today which is really cheap (can't find link now) and am wondering what's the best to do (can't make a decision me!) :?
Thanks in advance
Sunny

OOoooooooooohh please find link. I#m after one just now and the cheaper the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flatcap

• Experienced Member
polytunnel help please
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 18:57 »
we bought a polytunnel off ebay 1st strong wind the poles bent and cover ripped ,complete waste of £80

we have built our own using water pipe ,the tunnel is a lot sturdier than bought 1 ,also its a lot bigger and only cost us £10 for lats, me and oh not into diy but we done it :D

agapanthus

polytunnel help please
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 19:15 »
Quote from: "flatcap"
we bought a polytunnel off ebay 1st strong wind the poles bent and cover ripped ,complete waste of £80

we have built our own using water pipe ,the tunnel is a lot sturdier than bought 1 ,also its a lot bigger and only cost us £10 for lats, me and oh not into diy but we done it :D

...what a rip-off!!!!  :twisted:  That makes me so angry, but well done for your diy!!!!;)

gobs

polytunnel help please
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 19:38 »
I did not try it, just came across this on another site, after having bought one, but sounds OK, might just be as I have no clue, but hope it helps a bit.

LINK
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sunlover

polytunnel help please
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:32 »
Thanks very much all - the company I was looking at was "polytunnels on line", but after measuring out where I wanted to put the tunnel on the plot, I realised its far too small - the tunnel, not the plot.  Think it will be make our own as the larger ones are sooooo expensive.

Lizziewel

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 20:09 »
After trying out door Tomatoes last year only for them to be blighted in September just as they were ripening I have spent all winter dreaming of getting them under cover.  So I have bought a damaged stock of the dreaded cheap Polytunnel.

Built  it today and after reading stories of them taking it off thought I would share my methods for anchoring it down.

POSTCRETE - fab stuff requires no mixing (just add to water), comes in small bags from B & Q.  I set stakes into small buckets begged from local kebab shops and chippies, the sort that catering mayonnaise, curry sauce etc come.  After setting posts in these I buried them under ground and used cable ties to attach to the frame.  Then followed this  trenching the skirts.  I had plans to use train sleepers having found a stash of 300+ close by but was struggling with transport and not sure my back would take it!

The finished product is feeling quite sturdy - I'm crossing my fingers  :unsure:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 20:26 »
Good luck with it Lizzie. :) Perhaps you'd like to pop into the welcome board and introduce yourself and also add your approximate location to your profile information. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lizziewel

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 13:33 »
Update, my Polytunnel stood upto the backlash of Katrina, yay!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 13:50 »
Update, my Polytunnel stood upto the backlash of Katrina, yay!

Good news.  :) It stood up to Katia too!  :D

xx
Diy polytunnel

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 15:42
by johnjsdb
xx
help with polytunnel

Started by chevvy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 10:54
by chevvy
xx
polytunnel getting it right!

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 16:52
by Ema
question
Polytunnel help please!!

Started by Goldfinger on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 10:30
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.