Ever wished you hadn't picked up the phone?

• 13 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Ever wished you hadn't picked up the phone?
« on: June 26, 2010, 13:55 »
6 weeks ago, one of my first chicken customers said he wanted my last 100 hybrids, but could I keep them until 14 or 15 weeks so he didn't have to feed them for weeks before getting his eggs.  then he ordered 100 of the next lot and could he have them a few weeks after this lot.  Then he was going to call me the following weekend to tell me how many turkey poults he wanted at 5 weeks old to grow on for his family.

Having not head from him, I just called him.  Oh he said I forgot, been so busy having lots of probs, foxes got some of the chooks, working long hours and by the time I get home loads of broken eggs where the girls are laying everywhere, and money is tight so I may ave to give it all up and go back on the rigs.

So what about these hybids I'm saving for you?"  "Don't really want them now", "but I could have sold them all".  "Oh why didn't you?"  "Because you said you wanted them!"  But he still wants 10 turkeys!

Then called this other bloke who wants 50 turkey poults.  He had 25 last year and doubled his order!  "Oh I'm still having problems over my bit of land and my mate who kept his turkeys on his allotment had all his stolen last year, can I phone you next week?"  

But they are ordered now and if I let Kellys down, they will be more wary about letting me order next year.

Why can't people let you know what's going on?  So I've got 70 Bovans Browns now at 14 weeks  (I did let some of them go, so Sean knew he wouldn't get the whole 100) and I could have sold them all if he'd phoned me when he promised!

GGGGGRRRRRRR     :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry not trying to sell them, just needed a rant!!!  Well, I do know one lady who wants another 10 and thought she'd have to wait until next time!  And I need a new laying flock as my girls are getting a bit past it!   :wacko:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 13:58 by GrannieAnnie »

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Ever wished you hadn't picked up the phone?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 14:05 »
I think you need a deposit on large orders over 30 birds to stop people doing this - say £1 per bird and non-refundable if they change their minds. At least then you aren't totally out of pocket while having the feed/water/bedding bills continue for you xxx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 14:30 »
I agree caralou !!!  It would stop them from taking advantage of and letting down our Grannie >:(

pandora

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 15:59 »
Deposit. It's the way the rest of the world works you want it, you pay! Simple.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 22:16 »
Ah but the chap who ordered the chickens has never let me down before and he's had over 400 from us over the past 3 years!  He's the only one I thought we could rely on!  And the chap with the turkeys was supposed to be bringing his deposit over weeks ago!

But Brian said from now on, IF anyone, doesn't matter who it is, wants to order turkey poults or big chook orders, they pay upfront!

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 22:40 »
yep times are getting tight but peeps should never order if they will never pay i always asked  for 75%  upfront or their daughters never got married

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 22:48 »
Oh I know times are getting tight Flitwickone, but if the chicken chap had had the guts to call me and tell me he didn't want them now, I could have carried on selling them instead of telling people they were all reserved!  Then he said he didn't realise I'd saved them! When I promised I would! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Oh well, 3 went today, another 3 tomorrow, and maybe another 4 in the week!  I called a couple of the people who wanted them before and left their numbers!  :D

Classified ads here I come!!!!!   :D :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 15:37 »
And just to end the weekend, a chap and his family came yesterday for 2 pullets.  Wifey was looking at the pure breeds, hubby at the hybrids.  Half the price of the pures!  Shall we have 2 of the brown ones then?  he asked.  I like these other ones his wife said.  Yes but if we had the common brown ones we could have 3.  Oh if you like she said.

they've got 3 already, Maran and 2 of something else.  I said these girls are 14 weeks now so they should soon get used to living with the older birds, but he didn't have another coop so was going to put them straight in with his other 3.

anyway, got up a bit late this morning, so was in the bathroom when he called at 7.50am!  Can I bring those chickens back?  Why?  I asked. well they weren't too bad yesterday but this morning when they all came out, they were beating our other ones up and our other 3 are cowering in a corner of the run.  I said he hadn't really given them a chance to sort themselves out, but I wasn't very compo mentis having just got up!  I just said oh okay then bring them back.

But when he got back here, there was another couple here collecting their 2nd lot of pullets from me!!! lol  So I didn't get to talk to him but brian told him it takes a while to get the pecking order sorted out.  I think it was his wife though, she hadn't wanted them yesterday.  she was more interested in the pure breeds!

Silly people!  Brian opened the cat box they were in and they ran off to join their mates!

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 18:31 »
Oh grannie i know how you feel have people letting me down too :(also i wish people would do a bit more home work before buying chooks/hatching eggs ive had people return chicks because they havent listened to my advice etc

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 19:09 »
I have to agree with the others Grannie Annie you must take some kind of deposit otherwise you will be messed around.

I had some one email me for a last minute cake and made the cake along with a drum kit for the top that too me and hybby hours to make and when I emailed to say it was ready I had no reply. We were litteraly left holding the cake. It was a chocolate one though so not too bad but a lot of wasted hours making the drum kit. Now everyone pays a deposit.  :happy:

By the way what pure breeds do you have (I may be sorry I askedx that as I feel a visit is on the cards and I can't walk away without bringing a few girls home)  ::) ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 19:35 »
don't forget to call in at mine - or I can meet you at Annies - (bring your cake books as well and I will try and get Emmie over to have a look :D).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 20:46 »
I will call at yours first Joy and you can show us the way to  Grannie Annies  :happy:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 22:01 »
The kettle will be on, as we need to wash down the cakes!!  :D  sorry cake!  ;)

Can't talk about selling on here Ma, but I'm sure you will enjoy watching the chicks!  Got several Exchequer Leghorns and lavender, barred lavender and white araucanas.  I think the 2 blacks are boys, but not sure about the barred black or cuckoo whichever it is!  Also have a few little silkies  ::)  But the RIR and LS are gone with just a few left here waiting for their new owners.

But it will be lovely to meet you!!

Ma Lowe

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 22:12 »
I am looking forward to meeting you and catching up with Joy  :happy:

xx
i got the phone call today!!!

Started by massa on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 21:06
by jinty1911
xx
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 11:23
by evie2
xx
Woo hoo.....just picked up our chicken coop

Started by GerryOB on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 21:50
by GerryOB

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 35 queries.