Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

• 45 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 12:10 »
I chit my sweetcorn and have no problem transferring them to pots.

Here's some I started earlier today.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

coleman1

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 06:28 »
I have used both methods with both similar results
Regards
Robin
Recycling andemding is better than ending

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 10:03 »
I chit my spuds, but only because I have a vacant windowsill. They then remain in full view in the light so any sprouts they produce don't get spindly. I then remember I have them and can plant them when convenient to me and the weather. If planting is delayed with spuds there is no problem, they only get wrinklier  :)

I chit sweetcorn as I lost 2 lots in the past to rotting in the soil.

I chit parsnip to use up older seed, if nothing shows after 2 weeks they get binned and I start again. I can be fairly confident about the 2 weeks as whenever I have chitted new seeds the vast majority have sprouted in the tray within 2 weeks. We love parsnips in our family and given the unpredictability I have when growing them I find it is worth the additional hassle. I know some people can chuck them in the ground and they grow, I am not that person. My plot neighbour on the other hand is! Very annoying  :)

I might occasionally chit some peas and beans if I am either very bored or it is the last few seed of a favoured variety.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 10:07 »
Yes for potatoes, corn and runner beans this year.  ::) runners this year were a nightmare.

I dont worry about other bits they get done without any extra tlc

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2013, 14:34 »
Just potatoes for me,if i buy them later on they just go right in the ground straight out of the bag.

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 17:41 »
Each year I seem to chit more,with the cold slow start to the year beans and peas were a problem so I chitted second batch,with 100% germination it something I will be doing from now on.always chit early potatoes.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 18:59 »
Complete failure chitting sweetcorn this year - twice.

Bunged the 3rd lot straight into the roottrainers and hey presto!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 22:35 »
started to chit stuff this year only to hasten along the seeds has a hungry pheasant ate alot of my stuff worked very well but i dont think i will do the peas again it took forever to plant them

Sparkyrog

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 22:43 »
planting first earlies in the polly tomorrow that started chitting in march works for me  :D
I cook therefore I grow

composthappens

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 14:42 »
I am a compulsive chitter!! I always chit my spuds, but this year i also started to chit my peas and sweetcorn, i soaked them in water for a few days until they showed little spouts coming from them, then i plant them in pots or on the alloment. 

I found both peas and sweetcorn grow much quicker once i give them a start like this, and will alway chit them from now on, i might even try it on other seeds too!  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 17:02 »
My list for chitting seems to be growing.................

I chit potatoes, then DD showed us how to chit sweetcorn  ;)
I added white runner beans to the list as germination wasn't good this year.

Parsnips weren't good either and Aidy said you could chit them, so that's another one now  :D

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 21:33 »
I think I may be a 'no chit' sort of person, as I didn't feel this made a vast difference in the long run. In fact, I'm not sure that next year I'll even bother cluttering up my windowsills with seed trays and toilet rolls and pots of seedlings etc as everything that got thrown straight in the ground, including peppers, has grown just as well and in some cases better than seeds I cossetted and coaxed!

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31 »
can you chit beetroot

Beetroot queen

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 07:49 »
can you chit beetroot

I wouldnt even if you could, they grow too well just thrown in direct.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 10:31 »
My "chit list":

Sweet corn - yes, ever since I went from always getting nearly 100% to almost zero germination in the space of one year. Probably a duff packet of seed but they chit so quickly and easily it's no real bother to sow them as soon as the root appears.

Runner beans - I have had trouble with my saved "White Lady" in recent years so now chit them, but you have to be careful not to oversoak because being such large seeds they can hold a lot of water and the embryonic seedling can rot off even after germination. I actually sowed a few seeds direct this year and they came up quickly, but that was probably because soil conditions were perfect, which it usually isn't!

Parsnip: I tried Aidy's method of sowing just pre-germinated seed individually and finished up with a few gaps. I'm sure that sowing two per station would have overcome that, and it's probably worth doing especially in a cold spring to make sure they get off to a good start.

Sugarsnap Peas: again, saved seed so I pre-chit and sow as with sweetcorn - no real bother and you know that what you are sowing are viable. Maybe not for those with huge plantings though (who could I possibly be referring to?  ::)  ;))

Other than the above (and spuds), I've not found anything else which I feel either needs or I could benefit from chitting (yet!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed
xx
Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 22:33
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 41 queries.