Beetroot Seedlings

• 12 Replies

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
Beetroot Seedlings
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:26 »
Hello :)

RIght in my eagerness to get started and get things growing I stupidly sowed some beetroot seed in a seed tray. now a lot of it has germinated and I am left with a seed tray with around 50 beetroot seedlings all around 1 inch in height. What is the best way to deal with these? shall I pot them on or would they be best just slung in the ground and see what happens?

Thanks in advance :)

mattwragg94

Re: Beetroot Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54 »
well last year i sowed beetroot in modules (monty don suggested it), and then i planted them into the ground when they had around 4 leaves and i had some success with them (considering i dont do well with beetroot). so i would suggest putting them in the ground would be the best way to about it.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:18 »
50 would only be a few rows so not a problem fitting them in, it's just how much damage you'll do teasing the seedlings apart. Give it a go, if it's not working just put all the tops in a salad!

sav

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21 »
i to a module or 2 or 3 ? matt i am going to start mine off today in modules as well as pickling onion, and everything else i have to replace cos of being to early :blush:.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43 »
Thanks guys straight in the ground it is :) Just digging my first 2 beds as we speak, just stopped for some lunch and to check the forum oh the joy of digging NOT!!!!! Our house was built on a field so the back garden is basically field grass and trying to chop through it is loads of fun :) Still when the grass has gone the soil underneath looks really really good can't wait to have it all dug out path down the middle, manure collecting tomorrow then up up up and away :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 13:43 »
I always grow a few beetroot early if they survive, and I put 2 per module, but then a beetroot seed is usually a cluster of about 3 anyway.  I put the seeds as far apart as I can.  I'll leave them in there as long as possible, then put them outside in a sunny sheltered spot.

Beetroot don't really like being transplanted, and they usually take a couple of days to perk up, so I wouldn't pot on then transplant outside, they may get really upset!   :(

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 13:49 »
I always grow a few beetroot early if they survive, and I put 2 per module, but then a beetroot seed is usually a cluster of about 3 anyway.  I put the seeds as far apart as I can.  I'll leave them in there as long as possible, then put them outside in a sunny sheltered spot.

Beetroot don't really like being transplanted, and they usually take a couple of days to perk up, so I wouldn't pot on then transplant outside, they may get really upset!   :(
thanks grannieannie think i,ii be patient and just grow straight in the ground --- dont trust my hands if you have to be delicte when tansplanting   :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 14:00 »
Modules should be OK Jay.  I transplant from them and I don't think the plants really notice the move  :)  I use the ones were you get 12 or 15 cells to a standard seed tray and put 3 beetroot seeds in each.

Think if you were pricking out from a seed tray, that would be fiddly.  Beyond my reserves of patience I think  :lol:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 14:21 »
Modules should be OK Jay.  I transplant from them and I don't think the plants really notice the move  :)  I use the ones were you get 12 or 15 cells to a standard seed tray and put 3 beetroot seeds in each.

Think if you were pricking out from a seed tray, that would be fiddly.  Beyond my reserves of patience I think  :lol:

mine are 48 to a standard tray so will just do 1 tray and save the rest for direct sowing into the grond later this month for a back up--- just in case i mess up hee hee !!!

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 20:23 »
i have been growing beetroot for some years now in modules and then transplanting them  in the Lottie with no problems i water them in and leave them never had a bad crop yet

growing beat in modules at present crimson globe

Fisherman

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 20:38 »

I put mine out in a sunny sheltered spot also and mice ate the lot. They have got the taste since they started eating my beets last winter, the little devils >:(

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 23:12 »
We did some in modules last year and it worked well, smaller but those seem nicer anyway. This year I've done the same but only one seed per module, about 80% have germinated so far.

sarajane

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 23:46 »
I,ve got seedlings, prob 4 leaf stage and about 60 of them and they will go into the ground next week, weather permitting  and I'll also sow a row of seeds at the same time.

I,ve done this for the last few years. Each module has 2 or 3 beets in them and if each module is planted about 6-8 inches apart, they will grow fine .  Gives a slightly earlier crop and I do love beetroot. :)

xx
beetroot seedlings

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 18:59
by shed head
xx
Beetroot seedlings

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 11:05
by samnorfolk
xx
What should I do with these seedlings - beetroot, lettuce and pea?

Started by LaraJ on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 20:54
by LaraJ
xx
can you split beetroot seedlings?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 22:09
by meterman

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.