Potato blight or not?

• 24 Replies

digwell123

Re: Potato blight or not?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 18:47 »
I have had this in 1 variety, Charlotte, but not others grown in the same plot!! Small top growth, and very few tubers. As its a newly worked former neglected plot, i thought it might be poor nutrient levels in the soil, affecting just that variety?
Rotorvators rule!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 18:52 »
I doubt that it's potatoe blight.  Have you taken a close up picture of the leaves for us ?

Njal

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 20:22 »
Okay it sounds like it's probably not blight as that's serious enough for lots of people to know about it.
I have applied a general purpose vegetable feed with magnesium since that's one of the problems Hessayon mentioned.
I will apply it to the parsnips too.
It's odd because potatoes usually grow no problems. I have grown them for at least 8 years (although not on this plot) and they usually thrive on neglect  :lol:

Spana

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 20:23 »
Some of mine look the same.  Some plants looks yellow and withered, plants either side going great guns.  

I think mine is blackleg but not 100% sure.   The potatoes look fine on the outside but when cut they are brown in the middle.

Have you dug any spuds from infected plants, what are they like?

Gandan57

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 21:07 »
Anyone nearby been spraying chemicals recently?
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Njal

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 21:24 »
Anyone nearby been spraying chemicals recently?

No. And as I said, some other plots seem affected, some not.
Just been down and checked and the stems are fine - not black at all.

Have fed them so will keep you updated.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 22:04 »
I have had this in 1 variety, Charlotte, but not others grown in the same plot!! Small top growth, and very few tubers. As its a newly worked former neglected plot, i thought it might be poor nutrient levels in the soil, affecting just that variety?

Funny you should say that, as my charlottes have suffered from this.  I usually grow them to use as first earlies, but they are less than half the size of the other varieties, and all looking very poorly.  Most of the leaves are covered in brown spots, but it is not blight.  A few plants have died back completely.  Interestingly the tubers have got scab which is the first time my earlies have suffered from this. 

Dodgey batch of seeds?  I hope not.  I pay a fortune for my seeds from Kings as I like to know they will be of good quality.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 22:08 »
Small tubers and scab are very likely caused by the drought conditions we have had.
Cheese makes everything better.

hogwarden

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 09:39 »
I`ve had a similar mix of problems and took comfort in the `B` reports/map that it was something else as it started weeks ago.
I`m suspicious of one type of potato that may have brought in a leaf fungal virus as it appeared in two areas where these were sown OR we when had a biggy aphid attack they could have spread something nasty that went for some types more than others, my Charlottes fell over quickest, and have had some blackleg in the Lady Christl.
I had a heavy trim of all the dodgy foliage and furtled as I went and have plenty plenty lovely spuds except a few rotty ones on the blacklegged LC.
My earlies now look a bit spikey but a lot happier and we`ll soon gobble up the goodies underneath before the slugs can find them so I`ve come to live with it as a `happening`in the lottery that can be gardening!

ps-have seen similar patchy probs. on an allotment, the OB`s didn`t seem bothered(it wasn`t their plot) :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 09:45 »
Dodgey batch of seeds?  I hope not.  I pay a fortune for my seeds from Kings as I like to know they will be of good quality.

Just because you pay a fortune doesn't mean they'll be any better than certified Scottish seed spuds from Wilco, for example.

All certified seed spuds are subject to the same standards, no matter what dealer you eventually get them from. Wilco's may even get them from the same supplier as Kings, just that they have a different label on them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:49 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
grin
Potato Blight

Started by brian17 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 11:43
by DD.
xx
potato blight

Started by ian000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 19:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potato Blight

Started by chris172 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 00:35
by chris172

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 35 queries.