Bonfire...

• 3 Replies

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Bonfire...
« on: March 29, 2011, 21:01 »
Not sure if this is in the right place but...

I've been cutting down the hawthorn tree boundary around the bottom of my garden and I'm planning on having a bonfire to get rid of all the rubbish (there is an awful lot, 3 or 4 skip loads at least).

Now then, if I were have the fire, what would be the effect on the ground beneath it, with a view to planting veg/other plants?

The ultimate aim, once the bottom of the garden is clear is to completely redesign it into a functioning market garden and possibly a goat/pig pen.  I'm wondering if I'll still be able to grow stuff if I have a fire there, or whether I'll have to saw everything and lug it up the slop to where we normally have fires.

Thanks!

Gandan57

Re: Bonfire...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 21:24 »
You`ve nothing to worry about, nothing detrimental will happen to the soil from a wood bonfire.
You will end up with a nice pile of ash which can be spread all over the plot, but especially around fruit bushes and where you intend to grow brassicas as it contains calcium carbonate and magnesium.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 22:01 »
Hawthorn is a good burning wood once it's dried out. Do you have an open fire in the house?

As Gandan says, the wood ash is good for certain crops but I'd advise against using it on land where potatoes will be growing as its alkalinity is liable to cause scab.

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 22:16 »
Hawthorn is a good burning wood once it's dried out. Do you have an open fire in the house?

As Gandan says, the wood ash is good for certain crops but I'd advise against using it on land where potatoes will be growing as its alkalinity is liable to cause scab.

We do, but we use coal and only a few times a year, it's an old house with thick walls so we manage to stay warm!  That said I think I might put some aside for a Christmas day treat!

xx
Bonfire ash

Started by sonic on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 00:03
by Squibbs
xx
Bonfire

Started by Haz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 19:55
by MARROW HEAD
xx
bonfire

Started by deb1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 09:49
by stompy
question
Using the ash from a bonfire

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 15:37
by cAnAry53

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 39 queries.