acidic soil

• 5 Replies

44hexx

acidic soil
« on: July 29, 2010, 20:51 »
hi all

we have had our soil tested on our allotment and it shows that it is very acidic - probably why the crops are not doing that great. we have found out that we need to add lime to the soil but cant seem to find out whether we just sprinkle it on the top or dig it in, nay advice would be very much appreciated.

regards vicky and craig

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: acidic soil
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 21:29 »
Dig it in, and then manure two/four weeks later every autumn.  Then when you plant lime loving plants such as brassicas, dig more in and hand dress around the stems every month or so as they are growing.

You may have to do this for a few years (and be careful what you mulch with) but it will soon balance out.  For  good veg you are aiming for about 6.5ph - but its handy to check every bed as some may vary year upon year for a while
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SG6

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 21:30 »
Don't have the problem but it will I guess be sprinkle, then dig in, then sprinkle some more and dig again, and the number of times depends on how much lime needs adding.

Sounds as if it is a case of watching the ph level and when you dig the plot, probably several times a year, add more lime if appropriate.

Seems that the idea will be to have the ph value similar down to a reasonable depth. Cannot think how an alkaline surface and an acidic sub surface would work.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 22:03 »
Some help and advice on this page where it gives the quantities to add, depending on how acid your soil is :)

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 22:07 »
What pH is it?

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 22:11 »
If you have acid soil, yes, put lime on, but what I do is heavily dig the plot in Autumn, spread the lime over the top, and let it weather down, the rain and snow, will do all you need.  In February, re-test your soil and if its still on the acid side, then sprinkle more on and then in early March, rotivate your plot ready for planting. 

However, watch how you use manure, as this will make your soil acid again.  One more thing, leave an area where you will be planting spuds, free from lime, spuds don't mind acid soil
Babs

xx
My Acidic Soil

Started by Markw on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 17:39
by Markw
xx
Acidic soil...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 18:39
by gavinjconway
xx
What to add to make the soil acidic?

Started by Steve.B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 20:49
by syks grower
xx
How do i make my soil more acidic

Started by dionne on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 13:10
by Trillium

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.