Planting leeks

• 6 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Planting leeks
« on: April 21, 2007, 16:25 »
Is it too early to plant out leeks to their final position if they as thick as a pencil and 6 in. long?
And does a spacing of 9 inches in rows 6 inches apart sound OK.
Any other advice for a newby :?:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

Planting leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 20:42 »
I think you might find them running to seed Jim - look out for a tall central flower head emerging & remove it ASAP if it does.

With this in mind, I'd be tempted to give them less space to keep them smaller.  Maybe even as close as 6" each way if you can still get in to weed them.

Annie

Planting leeks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 21:21 »
I wish mine were pencil thick by 6" tall.What sort of leeks are they?The later you expect to harvest the later you should plant,up to june when many peeps put them in after they dig up their first potatoes.WG is right though keep a sharp eye out for boulting,I didn`t plant out `til june last year and a few still tried to flower and were inedible.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Planting leeks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:18 »
Quote from: "Annie"
I wish mine were pencil thick by 6" tall.What sort of leeks are they?The later you expect to harvest the later you should plant,up to june when many peeps put them in after they dig up their first potatoes.WG is right though keep a sharp eye out for boulting,I didn`t plant out `til june last year and a few still tried to flower and were inedible.

:roll: Many thanks for the tips Annie and WG.
Don't know what sort of leeks. The ones I planted as seeds were so thin, I got sick of waiting and bought a strip of plants cheap in the local market  :D

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Planting leeks
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:42 »
It sounds like these maybe the type ready for harvesting in late summr/early autumn, I would plant them, firm the soil then pop them in 6"deep holes. Trim the roots and I'd be tempted to trim the leaves too,pour in a little water to settle the soil around the roots after planting in holes.

The leeks I am planting for winter cropping are still thin and about 4" tall, I will plant them in June/July.I sowed them thinly  in boxes in unheated greenhouse .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Annie

Planting leeks
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:50 »
I`m planting 3 types with some earlier ones than usual(thanks to kind swapper),but they`re all just at the bent grass stage and will go in in June as usual,they usually look weedy when i put them out but it works well for me,just the matter of where I sneak the 3rd lot that OH doesn`t know about!

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Planting leeks
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 16:42 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
It sounds like these maybe the type ready for harvesting in late summr/early autumn, I would plant them, firm the soil then pop them in 6"deep holes. Trim the roots and I'd be tempted to trim the leaves too,pour in a little water to settle the soil around the roots after planting in holes.

The leeks I am planting for winter cropping are still thin and about 4" tall, I will plant them in June/July.I sowed them thinly  in boxes in unheated greenhouse .

That seems great advice; Many thanks CD.
I'll plant the ones from the market as you said and keep the the other spindlies in the greenhouse until June.  :D , Jim

xx
planting leeks

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:23
by DD.
xx
planting out leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 12:09
by mumofstig
xx
Planting leeks.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 13:11
by Goosegirl
xx
Planting leeks

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 14:53
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 35 queries.